Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Eisenhower S Silver Proof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 336Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  04:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering about the reverse of this coin and the ghost doubling its showing.
The black arrows point at the ghost doubling of the letters I can barely tell without taking a picture of it.
The blue points at the doubling around the letter. When you look at it through a loupe its just a very thin line.
Finally the red arrow points at the rim. Is the rim some sort of doubling like the rest or a fin or railroad rim.
Is the doubling just considered DDR because it almost looks like damage to the naked eye?

Edited by Rigs0880
01/20/2021 04:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37710 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing a minor rim fin,a lot of haze,a finger print.Not seeing a DDR.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1 wow so you see none of the ghost doubling I mentioned. Second picture doesn't have a fingerprint but fair enough. Thanks.
Valued Member
Poland
387 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks to be an impaired proof. I think those are just surface abrasions.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37710 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2nd pic looks like reflection doubling to me going by the photo.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1 they are on the surface thats why I said it looked like damage, @noranyki thats what I kinda thought how does that happen the way its laid out is just weird.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6964 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but with the picture provided, I see reflection doubling and surface marks/damage places in convenient positions to make you think its doubled letters.

If you think this is incorrect, better pictures would be needed so we can see what you are asking about.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48793 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see slight Machine Doubling on DOLLAR.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Second picture doesn't have a fingerprint

2nd picture has 2 or 3 finger prints. Your middle black arrows are pointing right to one of them. There is something in the fields but can't tell what it is, but I do see the MD coop pointed out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4991 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rothery beat me to it. Fingerprints are obvious. If you didn't create the fingerprints, you should return.
ša va bien aller

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did not know fingerprints were such a huge deal. Now I know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4991 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost nothing will destroy numismatic value quicker than fingerprints. And they're so easily avoidable when handling coins by wearing cotton gloves (available anywhere hobby supplies are sold).

ša va bien aller

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover thanks for that I will go get some I admit I was overlooking that but now that I'mámore serious about this and touching pricier coins I will get some. I got 20 Peace dollars heading my way ms 60 to 63 last thing I want is to leave fingerprints on them.
Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Rigs0880 If there were fresh fingerprints - bathing the coin with 99% alcohol or chemically clean acetone might fix the issue.
Both liquids doesn't react with metal but are able to dissolve organic fats. Just put the coin in a glass jar with lid and let it be there covered with liquid for a couple of minutes. Then check the results.
I strongly advise to have a glass covered cause you might not like the smell, especially acetone :)
One more thing - before bathing the coin make sure that acetone doesn't contain any additions except acetone itself. Less effective but less smelly might be isopropyl alcohol. They normally sell it in electronic supply's stores for cleaning contacts or parts before soldering.

Offtopic - how can I tag an exact user I'm replying to? please help! :) adding a "@" before nickname doesn't fix the issue.
Edited by Ezhik_Lt
01/21/2021 07:52 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05