Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Characters On Devices (1985 D Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 220Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  01:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add drhscl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I apologize in advance if my question seems obvious to some. I had come across a 1985D Washington quarter with a cud. As I was examining this quarter by adjusting the settings on my photos I noticed what looked like characters across at least the number "8" in the date. Is there a reference source on this subject? So far I have been unsuccessful in discovering information. Your help is greatly appreciated.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from the level of damage to this coin I expect the "characters" you are seeing are just a trick of the damage

the cud is pretty neat to find though
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drhscl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I like to call the quarter my zombie Washington. Your reply makes sense. I appreciate the help. Be well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37800 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I am not convinced it is a CUD. Being that large there should be an indent on the opposite side, and you would think it would be already listed here http://cuds-on-coins.com/washington...s-1932-1999/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
18679 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drh, first welcome to CCF. Second, it could be helpful to see a pic of the edge of this coin right where that potential cud is. I know that it will be hard to get the focus right, but that should help to determine if this is just metal that has been smudged over as damage or an actual cud. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That poor, poor quarter. Is there a Dr. in the house?
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3031 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing a highly damaged, compromised quarter--with more than its share of rim damage. I'm leaning toward the assertion there is no cud, given the conversation above and the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1758 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That poor, poor quarter. Is there a Dr. in the house?

The coin probably went through an automobile shredder and then was repaired so it could circulate. A couple well placed blows with a hammer and maybe a little filing will restore most coins to being able to pass through counters and vending machines. Back in the old days a lot of badly mangled quarters like this circulated and very few were being returned to the FED for recoining.

There will probably be a little filing on the edge adjacent to the "cud".
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
01/22/2021 11:09 am
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drhscl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your assistance. You have been very generous with your wisdom. I'll attach an additional view, but based on the characteristics of the coin from that view and the assistance from cuds-on-coins.com, I realize it is PSD.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6996 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1377 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cud or not to cud? Interesting.

AND:
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drhscl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not cud, but a good learning experience. Plus I like the overall look. Thank you all for your welcomes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05