Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

SMS Sunday: 1964 SMS Kennedy Half Dollar PCGS SP67, Only About A Dozen Known

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1964 50C SMS SP67 PCGS. Certified by PCGS as a 1964 "SMS" Kennedy half dollar, this coin represents the rarest issue by far in the series. There has been much debate regarding whether or not these coins were originally issued in special sets, since they were never in any form of special Mint packaging, and official Special Mint Sets were not issued until 1965. "Sets" of 1964 coins, including special strikes of the cent through half dollar, first began appearing in Stack's sales in the early 1990s. It is believed that most of those sets came from New York coin dealer Lester Merkin.

The 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollar is struck on a 90% silver planchet, from a single pair of dies, showing much sharper detail than the regular issue and having a satiny surface texture. Die markers include: on the obverse, a tiny apostrophe-shaped lump of extra metal protruding from the bottom edge of the crosslet of the 4 in the date; on the reverse, a discernible die polishing line connecting the bottom tip of the lower crossbar of the (O)F to the A(MERICA), and another connecting the same crossbar of the (HAL)F to the rim near the D(OLLAR). This Superb Gem example exhibits all of those markers clearly. It is one of only about a dozen pieces known. Our detailed roster includes just 11 confirmed entries, plus a few additional appearances that may or may not represent additional coins.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Pillar of the Community
United States
6966 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - I wonder if all of these are a type II REV?
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is one of only about a dozen pieces known

But everyone thinks they have one
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I just found one in my pocket change yesterday..

However there 'is' one being sold on ebay for $11.000.. eBay item number:154297643993

not an SMS, but someone might get taken.
The seller won't even post up a close-up of the '4'.

I messaged him to get me that pic, so lets see if he does.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Learn More...
United States
95916 Posts
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I messaged him to get me that pic, so lets see if he does.

And that would be a no, no response at all.

In fact, the listing was removed..
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many fake 1964 SMS get sold on eBay... sad
Pillar of the Community
United States
6324 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll settle for my proof cameo.

Learn More...
United States
95916 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll settle for my proof cameo.
An excellent option!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gremlins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like my silver. Don't care that it's common...it shines!

Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice looking coin, I'm surprised you treat it so badly. what I mean is that you should not (NOT) place coins onto a hard surface like that. You risk dropping it and denting it, or Like is the picture above, obverse down - Scratching the high points and reducing any value it may have.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gremlins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reminder. Thank you so much also for taking time to share/teach/I'm sure it's a little painful and funny mist days. I am, and will continue to improve. Honestly, have just started to learn, got fascinated about 2 months ago, I have inexpensive coins right now for a reason, I am learning. Holding them, using different light to see, trying out magnifying glass, I am seeing which ones I love the most including the world coins in circulation.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gremlins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these containers good to use? I have pennies in some/but there is quite a bit of dark spots on them.?
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...36C47EE4.jpg
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 64s
64 D Kennedy MS65
64 P Kennedy MS65
64 Kennedy PR67
64 Kennedy PR68
64 P Kennedy Hair PF66*
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05