Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Coins In Circulation

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,108Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Australia
3321 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  05:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Historically I often find the same year coins released really late in the year - usually November or December. It's mid Feb and I'm already starting to find 2021 20 cents and 2 dollar coins!

Not too sure I'm quite keen to see new coins when I haven't finished finding the alphabet coins and not seen the Qantas 100th anniversary or 2020 MOR dollar coin.

Distribution must be all over the place...
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
593 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The alphabet coins weren't really intended for circulation. Haven't seen the mintage figures for each letter but suspect quite low. Still noodling to try and find an X myself.
Agree with the other coins. Still seeking a 2020 $1 MOR and yet to see a Qantas in circulation. Also seeking a 2020 50c.

Have any CC members noodled a 2020 MOR $1? From what I can see on Ebay they seem to have only been released with ANDA privy marks, not into general circulation.

Also I believe a 2021 Alphabet series will be released. Any news? Will there also be a 2021 Donation Dollar?

I have also noodles 2x 2021 20c. Tigersmob kindly sent me a few 2021 $2 and I found my first one today so definitely about in SE Qld and early in the year.
Edited by David Graham
02/19/2021 05:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3321 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David, I believe the mintage of each alphabet coin is 346,000. I was looking it up last night as I tried to understand why it's so hard to complete this set. As far as I'm aware, the style of how these coins were released by Aus Post is similar to the coloured $2 coins issued exclusively by Woolies. This would be considered as intended for circulation although similar to the 2 dollar coins - these are hunted down like dodos. The recent issues must have created a huge uprise of coin collectors.

I think I have come across just one 2020 50 cents but surprisingly in a bad shape for its age.

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
593 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gxseries - Granted the alphabet coins were released via change through Aus Post and are therefore technically for circulation however the fact they were promoted as collectable (even with folders for storage) indicates that RAM knew most coins would not remain in circulation, unlike regular coins (including commemoratives). Can you classify a coin marketed as collectable with a minimal mintage as intended for general circulation? I wouldn't.

I don't like your chances of completing a set via noodling as Coaster did. I'm still chasing an X. I used to get 3-5 letters from every 500 coins, but in the past month that has dropped to 1 letter every 500 coins. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1724 Posts
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5248 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will there also be a 2021 Donation Dollar?

The way I understand it, there will be about 5m per year for five years, one for each Australian.

By 2024 they may have to do an additional year though to cover the population increase. (Just my thoughts)

https://www.ramint.gov.au/publicati...d-be-donated
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18338 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a few alphabet coins in circulation.
They were released raw, at face value, by the Post Office in change when paying in cash over the counter.

By various means, I have 22 out 26 all obtained at face value. When I have more that two examples of each, I release those back into circulation myself
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3321 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the mintage of each alphabet is 346,000 - the total is close to 9 million. This is more than the average colored 2 dollar coin, if not some of the lower mintage coins. It's certainly very challenging as most people would try to collect at least one.

I'm still looking for J, K and Y. Just found U a couple of days ago.

The RAM most certainly has amped up the challenge!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
593 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

If the mintage of each alphabet is 346,000

Would be interested to know if each state received equal amounts of each letter. I know I have yet to noodle an X yet have 5-8 of other letters. It seems some letters were never released in SEQ and what we get is just drip fed change from interstate!
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notsosqueezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just talking to a lady at the local PO and she said new series of Great Aussie Coin Hunt are supposed to be released in May 2021.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
593 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@notsosqueezy - Thanks for the info. Will contact my local PO to see if I can get some put aside.

I take it you must be 40+ if you can remember the notsosqueezy van ad!
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notsosqueezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I'm olde, but thankfully not quite as large as the guys in the ad.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2911 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will contact my local PO to see if I can get some put aside.

That's what I did with the last lot and managed to pick up a dozen of each coin. I had to drop in there 3 times a week for 4 weeks, but it was worth it. I'm hoping I can do the same this year. Hint: try and find a post office in an industrial area, where it's not so busy.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notsosqueezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, @jbuck
Been lurking for a while just absorbing all the info in these forums.
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notsosqueezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a bit more information about the 2021 Great Aussie Coin Hunt, my PO owner said he had to have his order in by the end of January for the coins, I didn't ask what he had ordered, next time.
Not sure if there are any extra orders being taken or if original orders can be added to...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,108Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05