Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do And Where To Start With 47 1921 Morgan Dollars

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 495Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As the title says I have 47 1921 Morgan dollars, and I have no clue what to do with them or really where to start. They are from a collection that was my great grandfathers. Most of them look like they were pulled from a roll and then placed into the carboard books.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37642 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Post a few of the ones that you think are interesting and we will comment. There are VAMS to look for http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Morgan_VAMs_by_Date
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and post a few here shortly. I just wanted to see what was the best course of action before I tried to upload 47 individual coins. I'll pick what I think are the nicest of the 1921's, but most all of them are very similar condition.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

to CCF
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Pillar of the Community
United States
9562 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First start by separating by mint - P (no mint mark), D and S located below the wreath on the reverse then by level of wear.

and to the CCF!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1949 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would start by posting one or two of the better looking ones here.

Next, at it as the perfect opportunity to do some research and soak up as mucho info as you can. Rather than posting a bunch of pics, or all of them, check out VAM world as John mentioned, and check out as many Morgan threads as you can. You will learn much more searching for answers than having them handed to you.

Now of course, if there's a question you have and can't find or figure out.....: we're all here ...... well these guys are, I'm far from a Morgan expert.

Edited by Ty2020b
02/21/2021 10:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2832 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not clean or wipe the coins as they will lose value. You can go to the PCGS website and Photograde
will give you an idea of how to grade Morgan's.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far I have only been able to get this one scanned image. I'm currently at work and am having my mother scan or try to scan a couple coins. So far I have this one obverse and a broken scanner.

Edit was able to get a scan of the reverse.

Edited by PCM
02/21/2021 11:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37642 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scans for the most part are not ideal. We can wait till you get home. The better the pics you post, the better we can help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9562 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading can be difficult from flatbed scanner images but this one appears to be high AU to possibly uncirculated and from the die crack from the rim, through the second left star to the neck appears to be VAM-3DT. http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...21-P_VAM-3DT
1883-O Nut
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the preferred method, like is an iphone picture able to show enough detail? I am very green when it comes to this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3996 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take my pictures with my Samsung cellphone and they are generally good. Put the phone on a flat surface, far enough away that the image fills the screen under full magnification (avoids the depth of field problems to some degree if the coin is too close to the lens).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take my photos with my iPhone 12 zoomed in 1.5X. I get by with decent pictures. Takes some getting used to.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so this one is a different 1921 Morgan and this is an iphone photo.

Im sure I can do better than this but I feel like no matter what I did the focus was off. What's the consensus on microscope photos?
Edited by PCM
02/21/2021 1:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3740 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter which way you cut it , a 21 Morgan in decent condition is a
30 Dollar coin unless a certified Gem .
You can buy them in bulk any day of the week.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05