Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 Farthing - Looking For Opinions On Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't see any circulation wear on the coin at all, but the reverse face looks a little soft.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
Poland
380 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be the lighting and a weak strike, but this looks a bit AU-ey to me... The cheek, drapery on the obv, and the helm, breast and leg all seem to display some wear. Again, these are mint darkened, and some are weakly struck, but I am going with AU-53 to 55 on this based on photos, or a high British VF, low EF.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
02/21/2021 3:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18112 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is circulation to be found on this coin, most obviously seen on Britannia's helmet, and
the brooch on Victoria's bosom also shows wear.
Light wear on many other high points of the design, both sides.

good very Fine (British grading).

Tiny die chip between the 'F' and the 'A'.
Valued Member
Poland
380 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel_69I - great minds ;)
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
547 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I concur. British grade GVF. Normally seen at auction grouped with other coins in a bulk lot.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always liked these British coins. Id also put it about an American AU-50 or so. NGCCOIN.COM has an approximately a value of about 15.00 or so in that grade.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:30 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'd come out in the middle in high VF territory, using the US system. Facial features are too worn on both sides of the coin and the lettering does not seem crisp. Lines in the clothing are visible, but again worn.

I having fun with Brit coins recently, too, and finding how inexpensive many of them are.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
755 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the fingers of Britannia (looking close to as struck) and the high point of the helmet (IMHO, the high point of helmet may be weakly struck, I think smaller coins tend to heave weaker high reliefs) my opinion is gVF - Good very fine in British grading, like with many others above.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1724 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say EF but weakly struck on the helmet.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8081 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go for GVF/NEF British grade - the hair and necklace on small coins like the silver threepence and farthing are often weakly defined when compared with the larger coins. These coins were artificially darkened at the Mint to avoid confusion with half-sovereigns.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
413 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still trying to fathom how they could ever be confused with sovereigns seeing as one had George and the dragon on the reverse and the other Britannia. You would have to be a complete muppet not to be able to distinguish them apart. :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05