Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acid Dates In Buffalo Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:44 pm Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings!

I have some Buffalo nickels that are obviously treated with acid to reveal dates. Some of the dates ended up being key or semi-key, but still acid date coins. Looking for opinions or experience whether acid dating on better date coins adds all that much value? Are they so discounted that they are barely above "no date" at all due to the signs of acid applied?

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
7059 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know they are not valued as much. Look for them on eBay SOLD auctions.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends... A 16/16, even acid treated, will get you a few $$ IMO
Pillar of the Community
United States
5213 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Treat them as DETAILS coins.
Probably worth well under 50% of catalog for the grade.
And since the date had been worn off (cull) that's not much.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any varieties like the 1916 DDO or the 1918/7 D will bring some nice money. A 1913-S type 2 will also be worth something more due to it being a key date.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15043 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a dealer in California that specializes in Buffalo nickels . He offers some acid treated keys and semi-keys at fairly high prices .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any varieties like the 1916 DDO or the 1918/7 D will bring some nice money. A 1913-S type 2 will also be worth something more due to it being a key date.

-CH27

I agree. This is what I noticed on Ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never want any of those.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help. I was thinking that acid might reveal key dates if you need something to fill a hole or make a few bucks.

Is there a good article on how to do this safely and effectively? I have a number of no-date Buffaloes that might be worth revealing the date. If nothing good shows up I still have the same junk!

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, one of the few acid treated indian buffs I have turns out to be a decent condition 1914-D that if the whole coin were not acid treated, it should grade around an XF or so. I awhileback found it in a dealers nickel bin all for one dollar. Needless to say, I was excited about that since it was a better date. I have come a long way since then in my collecting.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 1916 DDO doesn't have to be nic a dated to be identified, there is noticeable spread in the feathers even in low grades. example here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7823 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We had a member here that was really good at doing the whole coin. He created a solution that left them not looking so bad. Can't remember his handle though.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We had a member here that was really good at doing the whole coin. He created a solution that left them not looking so bad. Can't remember his handle though.
weerdsteev?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago I bought most of a large collection from an estate. Among other things I didn't buy were 2 Liberty Coin albums of acid dated Buffalo nickels. Truth is I opened the folders, saw the acid dates, & told the people running the sale that I wasn't interested due to that. They priced the albums fairly cheaply & a non-collector bought them the first day of the sale. I saw him at another sale a couple months later. I don't know how much he really profited because estate sale buyers tend to stretch the truth as bad as fisherman but even going with a conservative interpretation he made a couple thousand dollars selling on eBay.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know how much he really profited because estate sale buyers tend to stretch the truth as bad as fisherman but even going with a conservative interpretation he made a couple thousand dollars selling on eBay.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05