Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 S Morgan Dollar For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 966Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1892 S Morgan and it looks pretty decent. It has a blackish patina and possibly proof like surfaces. Can anyone tell me based on the pictures if it is worth sending in for grading? Weighs out as 26.71grams.

Edited by daremonkee
03/06/2021 6:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pic overload, many too washed out or too dark to evaluate. Just one large full-size pic of each side, please, shown right-side up and in lighting similar to your first two images.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7070 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Agreed with the Frog.

Something important to ask yourself is why you are thinking of sending it in?
1. If you just want to slabbed b/c you like slabs, then sure! Note costs beforehand to make sure its worth it to you.

2. If you are thinking of putting it in a slab to sell on eBay b/c you see coins in slabs selling for high prices...its likely not going to happen. The coins you typically see selling in slabs for very high prices are coins in very exceptional condition. No, this does not mean they are shiny. It means there is very little to no wear on the details from circulation as well as few places where the coin's surface took hits (even small) from being in circulation.

3. Add to that that even very experienced dealers/collectors who handle tons of slabbed coins cannot become rich by finding, having slabbed, and selling coins, and you have a much better idea of how it all works.

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

The 1892-S is a notorious condition rarity. It is common F and below, a little pricey in VF-EF, and escalates rapidly AU and up from four to mid-six figures. Mid-UNCs cost as much as houses. Counterfeits, altered dates, and altered mint marks are common.

At first blush, your coin looks low to mid AU. I can't get a good feel for authenticity or possible cleaning from the pics. If genuine and original, it would be a $1,250-$1,500 coin. At that value, and given the large number of counterfeit and altered coins of this date and mint, it would be well worth having it authenticated and graded by a TPG.

JMHO.
Edited by fortcollins
03/06/2021 8:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sums it up well. You'll never be sure until you send it to one of the major TPGs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9587 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date doesn't look good at all. It's a $2,000 piece if genuine. Here's a couple close ups. OP's piece at the top, known genuine piece at the bottom.

ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the date looks okay. The date position is an exact match to the date position of VAM-5. It does look like it might have had a cleaning long ago, but it certainly would be worth getting authenticated and graded.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
517 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks authentic to me, I think it makes AU50 at minimum after comparing it to a lot of other coins.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I might try to send it in to NGC this week with a few other submissions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9658 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a bit suspicious as BH1964. What is the history of this coin? Was it a purchase?
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2909 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have the coin at mid AU. One concern, on the date of the OP example the numbers are rounded that is typical on counterfeit examples. A coin in mid AU should not have rounded numbers.

You should submit the coin for grading.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a closer picture of the date and the obverse if this helps. I think I will submit it either way just to find out if it is real atleast.

Edited by daremonkee
03/07/2021 10:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9965 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its close enough to warrant a TPG assessment. could be mid-high AU possibly cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 details, cleaned. Looks genuine to me.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ended up coming back from NGC as AU details, Artificially Toned, Cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! You still have a genuine '92S in AU condition. I agree on the cleaning - disagree on the AT. But, I'm not a toning expert.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 966Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05