Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated 1958 D 1c Wheat Penny. Need Grading Assistance Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 321Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Azliving to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all!

I was hoping someone could tell me what this coin would be graded?
I am thinking about sending a few coins into PCGS for the first time. I thought I post on here and see what you all had to say first

Also, is it best to keep uncirculated pennies like this in airtight containers like a coin case?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps MS-65RD or better (note hit on shoulder), but please remove the coin from the plastic and enlarge the images for better input.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4711 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am thinking about sending a few coins into PCGS for the first time. I thought I post on here and see what you all had to say first

Whatever the grade, consider whether this coin is worth the grading fees. A quick eBay search shows the typical price of a 1958-D in PCGS MS66RD at under $20 shipped, probably much less than you'd spend to get it graded. A good rule of thumb is that a coin is only worth slabbing if it's worth more than $150 or so. That said, if it has sentimental value or you just want your collection in slabs, go right ahead.

Quote:
Also, is it best to keep uncirculated pennies like this in airtight containers like a coin case?

It can't hurt. A 2x2 should do the trick well enough, though.

Edited by Numisma
03/08/2021 12:28 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Azliving to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense. How would you explain the difference between MS66RD and MS67RD? I was just wondering because I had seen some MS67RD's on Heritage Auctions that looked similar to this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38596 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is a good link on grading https://www.PCGS.com/photograde
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , I wouldn't bother sending this coin in ,there are two ticks one on obverse and one on reverse . MS-64 ,nothing knocking my socks off .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And don't take it personal...we're grading the coin (like PCGS would) not you...for free!

Good looking cent you have there...couple of nicks and ticks along with the reverse discoloration will keep him under MS67.

Keep looking and keep posting...we love looking at coins!

to CCF

smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
3689 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. As noted above, ebay is awash with slabbed/graded '58 D wheat cents in the mid-MS grade range, at relatively low cost. Back in the day, people hoarded thousands of rolls of fresh, late '50s cents. Until recently I had a couple unopened original '58 D rolls myself.

Larger, sharper photos may tell us more on the grading aspect. Given the photos posted, I'm thinking MS65.

Check PCGS population info:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...d-1c-rd/2851
Pillar of the Community
United States
7070 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That makes sense. How would you explain the difference between MS66RD and MS67RD? I was just wondering because I had seen some MS67RD's on Heritage Auctions that looked similar to this one.

Grading companies use no science to grade coins. The companies will tell you grading is an art. Hence there is no actual verifiable grade assigned by them to any coin.

A slabbed coin (let's say at MS64) can be broken out and sent to the same company for regrading. It is legitimate to say it may come back as a MS62, 63, 64, 65, or 66. Although it should be noted those two extreme grades are less likely to be the result than the grades bookending the MS64.

Graders are humans. They sit there staring at coins for 8 hours a day under the same light source (critical for keeping uniformity). Imagine what that would be like.

Former PCGS president Ron Guth also can be quoted as saying the best graders only get it right 80% of the time (which is why they say they use three graders per coin). It should be noted though that coming up with a a percentage on a non-verifiable standard is a mathematical impossibility though. No disrespect, just mathematical fact.

People are sometimes willing to put out thousands of dollars more for just one grade point, but in reality that expensive little blot of ink on the slab is not about the coin itself. That grade point is about the slab, the label, the opinion that day of the graders, AND the coin.

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
03/08/2021 11:10 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Azliving to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all for that great information! Have a great day everyone
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16948 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
63-64RD
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05