Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1915-S Buffalo Nickel Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 882Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2332 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Posting a few that I just sent off to PCGS, will post the results when they are posted. What do you think it will get?

And of course I had to include another Buff

Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like an AU-50 to me. of a specimen though...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56913 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sensational looking coin, over my head for sure. I'll say not less than AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15205 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45 Showing nice wear .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2946 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1962 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a weak strike making grading difficult.
I might go low AU but I tend to think XF.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely fantastic 1915-S! It's yet another old album coin.

EDS Obverse and EMDS reverse. Matching die states, especially early die states, are rare in the early buffs.

Exceptional strike, especially on the peripherals, for 1915-S. LIBERTY, the ribbons, date, and first and second feathers are unusually sharp for the date. Not only do you have a full rachis and calamus on the second feather, you have a full rachis on the first feather. The obverse "weak spots" are the hair above the braid and the hair at the forehead. The reverse peripheral lettering is crisp. EPU is exceptionally strong. The "weak spots" on the reverse strike match the obverse weakness, at the left front leg and the buffalo's back. (I put "weak spots" in quotes here for a reason.)

Some die clashing and polishing. The second feather / buffalo's head clash is lightly polished. The "LIB" of LIBERTY / right rear leg is lightly polished on the obverse and a bit more polished on the reverse. The hair crease / ground clash is unpolished. The chin / EPU clash is lightly polished on the obverse and reverse.

The strike quality is the biggest risk with PCGS. The overall strike is exceptional, but PCGS frequently mistakes areas of strike weakness (and die polishing) for wear. Here, die polishing is not at issue. The areas of strike weakness are actually only areas of relative strike weakness. (That's why I used the quotes above.) Even the weak spots here are better than the average strike on most 1915-S buffs. That said, the hair above the knot and at the forehead easily can be mistaken for wear, and I fear PCGS will do so. The buffalo's front left leg and, to a lesser extent, upper back can also be mistaken for wear. PCGS is likely to make that mistake for the front left leg.

IMHO, this coin is a rock solid AU-55 on the obverse and reverse, and likely deserves an eye appeal adjustment upward to AU-58. PCGS, however, is likely to come in at least half step low, at AU-53, without adjustment. PCGS AU-50 would be very low here.

Bottom line: Bourse floor AU-55 with pricing over grade for eye appeal, but likely PCGS AU-53.

Very nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7914 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciated fortcollins astute and in depth analysis on this coin, and I agree and think it's closer to AU55+ but will probably end up in an AU53 holder. If so it's a good candidate for a CAC sticker. A super coin. Reminds me of a 1923-S I had that I kept trying to get it into a stronger graded holder, I tried a few times over the years and it always came back AU53 or AU55, so I finally sell it, and the guy that bought it send it in the first time out it comes back MS62 - go figure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another pretty one. All I know is I get a little smarter each time I read a fortcollins buffalo analysis. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5481 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another vote for AU-55. Very attractive coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3162 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say AU-53
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15205 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I add another thank you to fortcollins for that great review on that Bullalo Nickel .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10074 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The "LIB" of LIBERTY / right rear leg is lightly polished on the obverse and a bit more polished on the reverse

fortcollins...you blow my mind how you can these lightly polished areas. Dang

my first thought was AU55 so I have to go with that. nice strike for the year. the feathers are very nice and its still showing a split tail. no major marks, scratches or other issues put this one in high on the list for this grade
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2332 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May I add another thank you to fortcollins for that great review on that Bullalo Nickel

another fantastic FC rundown!

I have this one at AU53. Will post results when their in
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 882Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05