Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi. Can Anyone Here Help Me Identify These Errors?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 503Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Whyteknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mint errors, just a damaged coin. Spendable.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whyteknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well actually it's on a nickel planchet. And the damage looks like die clashes or poss metal flow to being under weight?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3885 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post strike damage--didn't leave the striking chamber in that condition. Not an error. In addition to other things, it appears intense heat may have been applied for a relatively short period of time. Perhaps intentionally by some one using a hobby-grade butane torch.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whyteknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can it not be an error if it only weighs 5 grams?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whyteknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please understand no disrespect intended. I'm a newbie and I'm just asking
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whyteknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make a completely different sound when it hits the ground as well
Learn More...
United States
19135 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wk, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm glad that you are questioning why we think that your coin is damaged, as opposed to being a mint error, such as an off-metal strike. The weight is roughly in line for a quarter, considering that chunk out of the rim and too high to be a nickel. The bubbling that you see on George's neck and the eagle's wing is not from a previously struck coin, but rather the result of this coin being exposed to high heat. We sometimes call these "campfire coins".
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38844 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely been exposed to heat, it caused bubbling and some weight loss. The separation of the layers caused the different sound as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the clad copper layer on the edge of the coin. Note there's a rim on your coin. If you're coin were on a nickel, then it would not be a clad coin, not expand a form a bubble from heat on the design would not fit on the smaller planchet. This is a damaged quarter.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/10/2021 08:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

with the heat damage theory.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Significant figures are important here. When you say "5 grams" as opposed to say, 5.0 grams, that implies a balance measuring only to the nearest gram. A clad quarter would be around 5.67 grams. If a balance only measures to the nearest gram, it may very well show "5 grams" for a coin weighing 5.49 grams, for example. And that weight is completely within reason considering minting tolerances and a little circulation wear.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56645 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal coin, heat damage.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence nailed it.
Consider it a learning experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5620 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go Spence! Very nice explanation! Someone used a blowtorch of poor ole George!
ša va bien aller

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05