Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Roosevelt Dime Possible Error Or Just Normal Wear And Tear?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IthnkImdumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all and tyia for any help or information forth coming. I decided to go through my change jar and I found this 1976 Roosevelt dime and maybe my eyes are bad or I have been staring at change for too long this afternoon. I'm new to coin collecting so please bear with me and ill try not to waste too much of your time. The left hand side of the face of the coin specifically "In God We Trust" the "In" and the "We" appear to blend in with the rim, possibly offset or some kind of striking error? Also the bottom of the S in "Trust" looks strange almost blob like on the tail. Thoughts? Corrections? Information?
Learn More...
United States
19206 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ithink, first welcome to CCF. Second, could you please post a full pic of the front of this coin? From the partial view that we have so far, there might have been a slightly mis-aligned die when this coin was struck.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3978 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, per 'official' posting guidelines, we need full (+ sharp) photos of the coin's obverse and reverse--at a minimum, then closer-in photos showing area(s) of interest. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1345 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Yes full pic (both obverse and reverse) is required for us to help you determine if the coin was either offset or a misaligned die.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IthnkImdumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My apologies! Thanks for the help
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IthnkImdumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9758 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing a full picture, it is a slight Misaligned Die.
Not enough to add any extra value.
The "S" looks like it has taken a hit.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IthnkImdumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your time and help!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50836 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the reverse die appears to have been polished very heavy, probably to remove Feeder Finger Damage. When you look at the Torch and the Greenery, you can see that the fields have been polished away. The obverse looks like the fields were polished away also. But usually the nose and brow area are affected the most. But notice the "RTY" On Liberty have been really altered on the fields making them thinner than the 'LIB' So I feel this die was altered. Thus why the coin looks so bad on the fields area. I should make some Side by sides of the how far gone these dies really are.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/10/2021 8:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05