Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Attended My First Coin Show - Some Observations.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,655Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3654 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thank to T-Bop for letting me know, I attended my first coin show, the Melville Coin Show. The show is about an hour away, so my wife tagged along.

We made great time (and since it was a Sunday morning, the traffic was light). Once you get in the hosts take your temperature and your contact information in case anyone gets Covid.

After getting in I took a stroll around to see what was available. Based on some quick counts, 3-4 dealers had a pretty nice selection of US notes, another 10+ had a large selection of coins. There were several bullion dealers and some that sold foreign notes and post cards.

Overall between 20-30 dealers all set -up. The place was well attended with everyone being masked.

The selection was good, I found a few items that were on my list.

The dealers were all friendly, willing to show you the items and answer questions.

Several dealers commented that this was the first show they came to and because of Covid there hasn't been much selling, so supplies are somewhat limited. The quality tended to range (in notes) from Good/Fine to AU/CU, there wasn't much in the VF/XF range that I was looking for.

The selection was better in Coins and I found several quarters that would have fit nice in my slabbed set.

If there was negatives, I thought the prices on some items were higher than I can get locally (but I notice this almost every where, we seem to have good prices locally). I also noticed that several people were monopolizing the dealers (mostly selling as it takes time to price out a collection), which limited access.

Sadly since I was only looking for 3 specific items:
A Stanton Large Note - Found several but they were either CU or F and I had found one at Vern Potter, so I was comparing to the one Vern had on his website (which is the one I ended up buying)
Justice 50 cent fractional - Found one, but it was slabbed and CU (more than I wanted to spend)
A Lincoln 50 cent fractional - Found one, and while marked as VF, it had more wear than I wanted. Price was fair and I almost got it.

But since nothing was exactly as I wanted or wanted to pay, I didn't buy anything at the show.

My wife on the other hand no items on her list so she ended up buying 6 beautiful Portuguese notes and a 1940 Portuguese cent.

As I didn't want to make it all about me, we then spent some time on eastern Long Island and then we had lunch in the Hamptons before driving back home.

So would I do it again. The answer is yes, but I would come more open minded as I could have picked up a slabbed coin that was on my list.

Again thanks to T-Bop for the invite and the meet up. I really recommend that if you can get out to a show you do it!
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most visceral memory from local coin shows of the 1970s and 1980s? -- the heavy smell of tobacco smoke wafting through the stale, money-scented air. Seems like more than half the dealers were smokers: cigarettes, pipes, cigars. There was much less smoke (and it was quiet like a library) at the postage stamp shows.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're lucky to be able to go to 'local' shows.

We [WA state] haven't had one for over a year and most that were scheduled for this year have already been cancelled.

That is our government in action [or was that government inaction?], hmmm.
Those who know what's best for us, must save us from ourselves.
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoping to attend the World's Fair of Money later this summer since it's a very short drive for me.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
04/11/2021 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CentSation, do you ever go to the PNNA convention in Tukwila? I used to go every year until I started college and was never in town.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numisma,

Yes, in fact as you may know, we had two scheduled for last year and I was looking forward to both. Went to 2019's show both Saturday and Sunday.

I am not too far away in Renton.
Those who know what's best for us, must save us from ourselves.
Edited by CentSation
04/11/2021 9:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are we sure the World Fair is going to happen?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8749 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly sounds like it went well at least. I can say I've gone to a few shows and not come out with anything as well. I've also gone to some shows and walked out a lot poorer than I walked in!

Quote:
Are we sure the World Fair is going to happen?

No, though the babble thru work among the dealers is that they're trying to make it work. Even if that means moving it from Chicago.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very excited to resume coin shows after this pandemic blows over - your description of community sounds really enticing...

Glad you enjoyed it!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20284 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't hear you say you tried to chew down prices. Every show I go to I never pay what a dealer is asking. Always chew them down on the price. And most dealers know people do this so they raise the prices accordingly.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4774 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin show phenomena is always interesting. A few years ago I was looking through a basket of slabbed (mostly PCGS) US coins--gave the impression of being a bargain bin. I picked out a PR70DCAM 2005 'Waters' nickel--with no price indicated. Nearly every other slab had a price. So, I asked the guy behind the table for his asking price. He dug around for several minutes, then turned to me and said, "How about $5?" I said, "Done!"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice summary, Helder!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3654 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Didn't hear you say you tried to chew down prices. Every show I go to I never pay what a dealer is asking. Always chew them down on the price. And most dealers know people do this so they raise the prices accordingly.

I would have haggled if there was something I wanted. There wasn't, but doesn't mean I didn't enjoy going :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15588 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes It's true , Helder and I met at a local coin show that I have been going to for the past 49 years . Gotten a lot lighter now because of Covid . Anyway we wound up not buying anything as I was only looking for OBW and BU rolls of Lincoln Cents and he was looking for certain notes .
But it's always fun going to a show .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Braver than me. I would have been neurotic the whole time and upset if I came away empty. Looking forward to a stress free event this fall.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3654 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have been neurotic the whole time and upset if I came away empty.

We'll..... not really empty.... my wife picked up a few notes......... I may post them later or today.....

I also had a note I wanted, so it was worth to check out the show...

Well since I made you wait. Here is one of the notes my wife purchased.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,655Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05