Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Common Are Blank Lincoln Cent Planchets?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 460Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
33581 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:41 am Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4290 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a bunch. And the seller offers additional lots. Interesting. In several decades of mid-intensity cent roll searching I've come across three. Wonder where the seller acquired theirs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a bag full of . I have found three myself since the mid 70s.
Edited by RobO411
05/11/2021 09:03 am
Learn More...
United States
33581 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese counterfeit just about anything. Do you think they might fake these as well?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58066 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't surprise me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1836 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint used to make sets of blank planchets and completed cents in plio for children. I've seen large numbers of these sets over the years at shows. Perhaps (if they are real) they came from those sets?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39373 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked through a few cents in my day and have found around 3.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wadahek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't found one roll hunting (It's a fairly new thing for me, and I rarely hunt through cent rolls), but I did get a blank planchet as a free souvenir from a tour at the Denver mint.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same Jbuck lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51566 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well some are tarnished a bit, but maybe he had connections somewhere down the line. The prices are way out of line though.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the "have found exactly one" club (over the course of several decades).
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be Pareidolia, but on my phone a few of those look like grease-filled dies rather than blank planchets.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking back at the image, some of those appear that way to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How common are they if this seller has a bag full of them? common enough I'd have to guess. I wouldn't be a buyer for this reason, APMEX sells them for $10 each as many as you'd like. with that perspective it's a good deal comparing his listing, but there are many of them out there and likely not worth much more than $1.00 really.

the 2019 explore and discover set from the mint came with a blank planchet in it and $1.91 in coin and a plastic magnifying glass and activity booklet for kids. all for $19.95 and made 50K of them, and I'm sure they've done it at other times also but nothing comes to mind besides this more recent offering.

from that perspective, they aren't really rare at all and not worth more than a buck or so, and that's being generous.

probably someone that spent a career working at a bank and pulling them out as they popped up over decades and switching them out for cents.

As far as Grease Filled Dies, I think it's Pareidolia, on the listing picture which can be blown up, it's scratches and stuff that resemble the memorial or a stain that resembles Lincolns bust but isn't it when its zoomed in on.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
05/11/2021 12:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1836 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of the sets I'm talking about. I've seen dozens of them at a time. We have given them away to the kids at shows. I can't believe they are uncommon. Have also seen other years - these are the '09 Lincoln log cabin sets.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05