Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Confirmation Of My Find - 1944-S Lincoln Cent Struck On A 1943 Copper Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 609Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new0 to this hobby and still learning so, I again would like to start by saying I'm sorry for any confusion brought on by my first post. Also I have upgraded my equipment in effort everyone trying to help has the best view. So from what I can see I believe that I have found a nonexistent Lincoln wheat. As we all know the mint in efforts of the war suspended copper pennies during 1943 opting to use steel in its place and returning to copper the following year. the Lincoln I have here by all measures looks to be just that a 1943 struck on a copper planchet its weight is 3.1 G. Now to take it one step further it seems that it was over struck the following year 1944 and from the faint mint mark it seems that its origin is San Francisco. I have done all I can to point out what it is I'm seeing in this coin. So please know I have driven myself insane over it actually existing or not been poked fun at over it and my attempt to find out about it plus spent way more than I had to find the truth but I have to know thanks ahead of time. also what do I do with it now?

Edited by Spencerj72
05/29/2021 08:05 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15561 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't we just go over this a few days ago ? I see nothing on this coin to indicate it's a 1943-S on a copper planchet.
The last 4 of date does not remotely look like a 3 . And there is not even a faint mark indicating any mint mark S or D . If you still insist with your beliefs then send it in to be verified by TPG's
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4748 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with T-BOP. After considering all input you've received, if you still feel very strongly about your coin, consider submitting it to a reputable 3rd party grading service--PCGS, NCG, ANACS. If you do submit, please share the results with us. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes this hobby can be very frustrating when you think you see something that is not there. I feel your pain. You must compare to documented evidence and you also need pictures of the actual coin that is not distorted. Save the coins you think are something until you gain more knowledge. Then go back to them. Sometimes it is amazing what you see later and you wonder why you thought something. Knowledge it the key in addition to acceptance. If you really think you have something later, send it in. Keep learning, there are many rewards down the road!
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3409 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59225 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with everyone. Just send it in and let's resolve this.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second what VestigeWolf said.

I have been saving coins that had features I could not explain, such as a low grade Peace dollar with a vexing extra ray sticking out of the eagle's wing. After studying pics on this forum for a while, I could rule out PMD because it was not incuse. What was it, then? The other night, I flipped it over, studied the obverse, and had that most satisfying "Ah ha!" moment. It was a strong die clash. I found some of the other lines corresponding to features on the obverse, then I looked it up on VAM world to see photos of many different clashes, but with the same pattern.

Is my coin worth any more for it? Nope. But I, like a lot of others here get a buzz from figuring stuff like that out. Now I know something I did not, and it makes me happy.

If one goes into this coin collecting thing with the notion that their odd looking coin is worth the price of a new vehicle—or more—assessments will be impossibly biased. That makes it hard to learn, and can frustrate those who try to teach. It didn't take me long to figure out why some folks here hate some of the videos on YouTube. Those things can instill a bias that is hard to overcome.

You also might keep in mind that the most probable explanation is the one that you have in front of you. In other words, it is most likely a 1944 LWC. I don't see what you think you see. Also, you are combining some extremely improbable events, that together, almost equal impossible, kind of like finding out you won the Powerball lottery while getting struck by lightning while sitting in your recliner at home while watching a Three Stooges episode while.... Try to assess your coin as if the value is one cent, regardless of the financial outcome.
Learn More...
United States
34157 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally understand what you think this is, I think.

You think this is a 1944-S overstruck on a 1943 cent struck on a copper planchet.

That really would be a rarity, or dare I say, unique.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nss-52 one might even say mythical...
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Pillar of the Community
United States
1970 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by jasper62
05/29/2021 3:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it's Pareidolia. If you have to work this hard for it, it's probably not what you think it is. If there was something there, at least some of us would be seeing it. We aren't afraid to respectfully disagree or share different ideas here too see what makes the most sense. Unfortunately, the thing that makes most sense here is that you have a regular 1944 wheatie.

I do second what vestigewolf said. Keep your anomalies and you'll figure out what they are as you learn more. It's very satisfying, even when you learn a certain coin is nothing because now you know WHY it's nothing. You're in a great place to do that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1043 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto with VestigeWolf and Numiscrat. Sorry.
And the rest.
Edited by RobO411
05/29/2021 4:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid you are just trying too hard to see something. If you are still convinced that it is what you believe, then all you can do is put up the money and send it to one of the professional third party graders. Just make sure it is money you are willing to lose, because that is what will happen.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
each and everyone of you have made great points all of which I plan to follow up on by sending it to a third party. I just want to say thank you for your input it was more help than you know. See it gave me the drive to continue in what I believe and after careful study I find it to be almost a copy of the 1964 over 1963 but more importantly all die scratches gouges ECT.. match perfectly to WDDO-011 1943 P for whatever reason. Now I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me I'm just asking that you keep an open mind. I cant see the wind but I can feel when it blows my way
will let you know how it turns out
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You go! I have done the same in this learning process and have been surprised also. Sometimes you know what you know until you don't or do. Good Luck!
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Edited by VestigeWolf
05/29/2021 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please be sure to come back with your results, even if it is not what you had hoped. Good luck.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 609Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05