Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Wheat Penny Error? Anyone Ever See This?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 551Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coppercoinsusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
4813 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First photo (especially) shows evidence that the date was intentionally 'ground off'. Post strike damage, not an error.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoinsusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked under a scope 30x plus mag. Two other dealers also rechecked theres no sign of any removal of the date or any sign of any placement of any date the coin is in relatively high circulated condition so wear is pretty much out the question as the date is punched into the coin with the raised so any removal would be easy to see. Theres only a few contact marks in the area. I attached a few pics maybe someone can help me identify what type of error this coin could be. thank you all in advance!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoinsusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also note the few contact marks are near Lincolns chin and not anywhere near the date area the coin has no date or mint in the area the date and mint should be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PMD with circulation wear somewhat covering the evidence.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, that first pic seems to show deliberate defacing.

to the CCF!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoinsusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
even that the first pic is clearly the most fuzzy the contact marks you can see are all in the area near Lincolns chin the date and mint mark area on the coin is beneath that area and on all other pictures you can see the coin is undamaged shows no sign of anything ever being there notice the design of the coin and the areas of the contact marks in relation to an normally struck Wheat cent of similar grade. Has anyone even seen this type of coin or is it not something seen very often. I have yet to see any coin of a similar error or grade to compare no wheat cents normally struck with everything but the date Is it possible to be a new discovery?
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to not go back to the "2 other dealers" if they can't see the scratch marks on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, The date has clearly been removed and a crude attempt has been made to smooth the area. Damage is visible from Abe's chin to the bottom of his jacket.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1975 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date removal would be my best guess as other's have said. The other possible answer would be a Grease Filled Die which is pretty common occurrence. Here's one I pulled from a roll of 1990 LMC 30 years ago. Put it on eBay a few years ago for $2.00 and it never sold so there's not much of a market for it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40131 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Put me in the deliberate damage group. You might be able to weight it, but I kinda doubt that would help much.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10880 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can clearly see scratch marks where the date was removed.
Even if this wasn't the case, then the only other explanation would be a
partially Grease Filled Die.
It is not a new discovery as there are many coins out there with missing letters or numbers.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD [or Struck Through Grease], either way it it's not worth any extra.

Sell it on ebay.
Those who know what's best for us, must save us from ourselves.
Edited by CentSation
06/20/2021 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6507 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why all the photos hiding the date? I agree with others seeing the first photo clearly shows scratches where the date was removed. Intentional post mint damage ( PMD). If you purchased the coin thinking this was a mint error, I'd go back to those dealers and return it (and find new dealers).

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52416 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to guess the date, it is probably a 1946. The last two digits are weak that year. and someone help to remove the 19 as well. Thus why they got the idea?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Centsation, why would they sell it on ebay? Don't you think there is enough trash coins being sold on ebay?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05