Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Collect World Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,089Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  10:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I like world coins but it's such a wide area it's hard to know where to begin.
I'm curious how you got started collecting world coins and what you collect.
Do you collect single countries? Eras? Metal content? Themes?
As a Morgan/peace dollar collector I like big silver world coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3995 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could help buy my world coin collection is mostly coins from the places I've been. I'm Portuguese so I have a larger collection of those as that's my home country. I honestly just put them in an album. There isn't a rhyme or reason. But as they done have much (if any value), it's just a memory of places I've been.

I do collect Currency from Portugal, those are stored by date and amount. Here is an example of the currency.

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That currency is stunningly beautiful!
Really attractive bill.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through a stack of big silver coins yesterday, many bigger than silver dollars. You might like Dutch daalders and rijders if you like silver dollars already.

I lived in France for a while. When I got back I started collecting their coins. At first it was focused on the Revolution, then Napoleon, then the Restored Monarchy, then Henri IV, on and on. Sort of like an infinite version of a type set. Dozens of branch mints. You could spend a lifetime collecting just the coins made in La Rochelle or Perpignan.

Somewhere along the line I got interested in Spanish colonial coins too. Especially the hand struck crude cobs. Piratey coins.

Really old ancient coins entered in at some recent point...Mysian, Lydian, Seleucid, Achaemenid....the beginnings of money....

There's no rhyme or reason to it really. They're all interesting in their own way.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/13/2021 12:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5018 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like @hfj and @thq, I collect coins of places that have some significance to me: Poland because of my ancestry; Lorraine and Brabant because I have lived in those places (after their incorporation into their modern nations).
But I also collect a theme that cuts across countries: coins with images of Christian saints (mostly medieval to early modern). That one is because I have an interest in the history of Christianity.

As mentioned by others, if you like big silver, there are a lot of options from many different places. Maybe identify some target types spanning the last 5 centuries: colonial 8 reales; a British crown; a French ecu; and Italian scudo; a German or Austrian thaler...

For a lower budget per coin, you could do a world birthyear set (one coin from each country that minted coins in your birthyear).

My only additional suggestion is that once you decide a direction, do your research before you start acquiring.

Edited by tdziemia
07/13/2021 08:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5304 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dive in and let it happen--make adjustments as your experience and tastes evolve.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the above ideas are fantastic.

I really agree with ijn1944. Start and then follow what you find interests you.

My collection is by country. I have about a dozen big binders of 2 by 2s. Many keep just one from each country lol but I can't seem to get rid of the extras.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3163 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect coins from every country. I try to complete date runs of all series, including different mints. It's a big job and I know I can't ever hope to collect all the coins I want, but I'm having fun trying. Started by getting bulk lots and then started trading with people around the world. Postage can be expensive, but I soon forget that when I add new coins. Once you get many coins from a country, it can then me a matter of cherry picking to get those last coins. (some can be too expensive and I will never get those, unfortunately). The main thing is to have fun doing what ever you chose to do.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect my birth year.
Coins of the world struck in 1941.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you already have your solution.
If big silver and if world then collect one silver crown per country.
If no silver then copper-nickel will do the job and cost much less.
So you will have a large coin of one metal or the other from each country that has them.
If no crown from a particular country then accept the largest coin that they do have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4231 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After accumulating world coins with no rhyme or reason, I settled on type coin collecting. You can easily get into the thousands here from world "junk bins" at the most 25 cents each. You won't find large silver there though. Later I tried to be more thorough and added silver.

But really, with so many possibilities and varieties, start with whatever you like, and large silver is an excellent place to start. It doesn't have to be old; there are a lot of possibilities well into about 1960-1970, when silver started disappearing from circulation.

I wouldn't even restrict myself to one per country. Do that at least but get all the others that you like too.
Edited by oriole
07/13/2021 4:05 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a Morgan/peace dollar collector I like big silver world coins.

First, some terminology. World coin collectors in the English-speaking world tend to call large silver (or cupronickel) coins "crowns". Named after the large British coins of that name. "Crown-sized" or even "dollar-sized" works too, though a "silver dollar" is typically slightly smaller than a crown. Or to be more practical, a "crown" is a coin that can only fit in the largest possible size of 2x2. If it can't fit in a 2x2 at all, it's called a "maxi-crown".

Large silver dollar-sized coins from the German states and surrounding areas in Europe are called "thalers". "Thaler" (sometimes spelled "taler" in American English) is the word from which the English word "dollar" originates, and is actually an abbreviation for "Joachimsthaler"; this name in turn was derived from the city of origin of the first thalers or "dollars" ever struck: the (formerly) German mining town of Joachimsthal, now known as Jachymov, in the Czech Republic. German thalers are extremely popular with collectors in Germany, and prices are usually quite steep.

Krause has put out a specialized book for such coins, the "Standard Catalogue of World Crowns and Talers". It's convenient in that it covers 1601 to date all in one book; if you buy the regular Krause world coin catalogues you need four books to cover the same time period. An older book put out by Krause, the "Standard Price Guide to World Crowns and Talers", also known as "Davenport", is the more definitive guide, covering the entire period from the first thalers in 1484 and many crown/thaler collectors use "Davenport numbers" to catalogue their collections.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3995 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Portugal had big silver into the modern age :)

They also had small silver.

Edited by hfjacinto
07/13/2021 7:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an old saying "buy the book before the coin".
So here are some samples of some books that can help the OP if indeed there may be a quest for "Crowns per Country".

Pillar of the Community
United States
5219 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pmint1 World coins are such a large field that you can collect in a thousand different ways and not run out. Some good suggestions have been made so far, but you need to follow your own interests, tastes and financial ability. Since you favor Crowns you eliminate many types and it will get expensive the further back in time you go.

Some collectors go small and specialize in very tiny coins - the smallest type from each country.

Portugal has a great historic maritime history so you could:

1. Collect coins that picture explorers.
2. Collect coins from the Portuguese colonies.
3. Collect coins with ships.
4. You could collect modern commemoratives 100 to 1000 escudos

You could become historic and collect coins of the Kings.

There are also numerous Portuguese coins that feature counterstamps or series in copper that were recoined to change the denomination. Coins of Brazil were struck over old Spanish 8 reales to create the 960 Reis series.

Overall have fun, you can meet some nice people and some crooks. Know as much as you can BEFORE you buy a coin to avoid fraud.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love large silver non-US coins. I'm not too particular about country, I'm much more concerned about the eye-appeal of the design.

There's lots of good advice already mentioned. Pre-1800's Thalers, even some modern coins have caught my attention. The Dutch Ducaton is probably my favorite.

Where to begin begs the answer to a few questions, what your typical budget is, what eras you may prefer, and conditions you find acceptable.

I've always understood; US coin collectors who only look for US coins are missing out on, literally, a world of opportunity. It's so bad sometimes I feel like if I see one more display case full of Morgan dollars, I'm going to be sick.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,089Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05