Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hobo Nickel Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 788Next Topic  

Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  10:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Anna14459 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends. Does anyone have any ideas on this hobo nickel? Date? Artist? Value? Etc? Take care all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! I don't know much about these coins, but hopefully someone else does!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
My Ebay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/coinhunter...047675.l2559
ANA # 3204217, CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13282 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is impossible to know when that was done and by whom unless you were there.
There were literally thousands of them made. The Chinese have even started to mass produce them for sale.
In the Coin World, they are considered as damaged or graffiti but you might find someone who collects them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1923 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fun coin...

i find them to be very cool...

i dont own any, but I like them...
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example!

I moved to to where the US Classic regulars can get a look and comment.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has a suspiciously fresh look about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3726 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has a suspiciously fresh look about it.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinHunter4:
Quote:
Nice coin! I don't know much about these coins, but hopefully someone else does!

In the era of the Dust Bowl, many decent men who'd invested their hopes of caring for their wives and children in tilling the land lost their entire investment. Still determined to save their families from destructive forces beyond their control, they "took to the road" in search of family income.

They did not belong "on the road." They belonged at home. They were first called "homeboys," and soon thereafter, "hobos." They took their dignity with them onto the road. Hobos were not drifters, vagrants, tramps, ne'er-do wells,or any other other semblance of a predator. They were home boys down further on their luck than some other Americans.

The roads were long. They faced hours of down-time hiding in freight cars, evenings in networks of hobo camps, trying to make an HONEST buck whenever possible. Wasting time was not their cup of tea.

There's a story of a child who erased a mark left by a hobo on a curbstone. His mother restored it. She knew this was a signal from one hobo to the next that he had been afforded a meal at this address.

These good honest men, down on their luck developed an art form to help earn their keep or reward a benefactor using all they might afford. Offer of a spendable nickel, not a hyped-up piece of garbage as one might expect from a less dignified transactor, upheld the dignity of the transaction in an age when dignity was hard to come by for a hobo. A nickel, a nail, and a desire to preserve their own societal dignity and worth was all they needed. In human terms, hobo nickels are precious.

I think I have one hobo nickel but it's not the nicest I've seen.
Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Edited by Kcm
08/19/2021 4:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7683 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KCM - thanks for this.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Often times people will comment on coins that they know nothing about with an air of authority. I teach hobo nickel carving at the ANA summer seminar, am an admin on the facebook hobo nickel group and I am a life member of the Original Hobo nickel society. there is a thriving market for hobo nickels, both modern and contemporary, as witnessed by the recent and current sales of the Chris Dempsey collection.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results...h-A-K-071316

I would say your nickel is not modern, toning on both side seems to match, cuts do not look fresh, high grade reverse with smoothed date is definitely not something that I've seen a modern carver do. If you go to hobonickels.org you can see where the club has given names to groups of carvings that display similar artistic styles, yours may have been nicknamed. Value? I am bad at placing values on these, but I would not be surprised to see it sell for $200 at the right sale.
Learn More...
United States
22048 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for the informed input. I wonder if you could provide any explanation why on the OP's coin and many others, the word LIBERTY in the inscription is left intact, while the rest is obliterated by the design or simply removed. Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's a good question mate.
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence

Quote:
Thx for the informed input. I wonder if you could provide any explanation why on the OP's coin and many others, the word LIBERTY in the inscription is left intact, while the rest is obliterated by the design or simply removed. Thx!

I license myself to issue an answer couched in pure, unmitigated speculation.

A nickel in the 1930's was nothing to sneeze at. A pound of bread to feed your depression era family cost $0.09. I believe that an important consideration crafting these nickels to a state of added value was the need to maintain the clear identity of the original substrate.

As to the OP's coin, I'm dumb as brick in making a clear call here but it looks genuine to me. That said, I suspect that, had the creator obliterated one bit more of the original substrate, he'd not only have botched his mission but also have rendered it less desirable than it was in original state. As to why "LIBERTY?" On the Buffalo nickel, outside the profile there ain't much else, to play with. If need arose, or even if the novelty of ownership just wore off, the coin needed to be welcome to circulate.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2715 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice nickel!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: