Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

199 Missing Fourth Digit Unusual Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
157 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, so something happened to this coin during the minting process. It is a zinc planchet, weight is 2.5 grams and I believe it is a single squeeze coin. But the forth digit on the date is gone and try as I did I could not make it out. The I in liberty is almost gone but the rest of the obverse with the exception of the plating surface appears normal. There is doubling of the top of the hair and at the bottom of Lincoln bust. The reverse however is another kettle of fish all together! Possibly a Die issue as strange doubling exists on USOA, One Cent, and the motto. There is a heavy border around the roofand doubling of the left and right sides of the memorial!

I hope everybody chimes in on this coin because I don't believe this is PMD. I must apologize for the number of Picts (15) but I believe the coin warrants proper coverage. As usual let me know your thoughts and Regards.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41197 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck Through Grease. Wayyyyy toooo mannnny photooos
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(I must apologize for the number of Picts (15) Sorry John but as you know a pic is worth a thousand words. Struck Through Grease, never had one before. So now I have and won't make that mistake again.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19083 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My most probable guess for date is 1999.
Struck Through Grease a relatively common error.
Learn More...
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a very nice example of being Struck Through Grease. The doubling on ONE CENT appears to be either DDD or a plating issue.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Greaser for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53876 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The multiple lighting is what makes it lack light and shadows. For micro images a single light is better for images of variety coins. The full images can use the lighting for this light. But light and shadows show spread a lot better:
Ring light:

It floods the fields with reflection.

Single light source.

The light and shadows show the spread easier.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I turned all the lights off in the room I am in. I shot all the pics with the overhead LED LIGHTS only and shot with the lowest level for the best picture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53876 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The overhead LED lights are the issue. Just one single light is all you need for micro images. I replaced mine the day I got the scope. I knew they didn't help.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
1537 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and special Struck-Through-Grease coin. Would this be sought after by collectors? $$$?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41197 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would this be sought after by collectors? $$$?

Not really. If you sold it for $1 you would be doing good.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop I have 4 pictures with no lights, 2 of the front and 2 of the back! If interested I'll post them. Regards!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Greaser, not all that unusual, nor rare. Greasers missing 2/3s or more are the rare ones. This one worth maybe a dollar or two at most.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53876 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the progress made to create them could change the way you take your images going forward. If it makes progess, keep the ideas. If not, keep trying to improve. Improvement is always the goal.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05