Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brand New Member! Need Some Assistance To Identify PCGS For 1921 Morgan And 1922 Peace Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 403Next Topic  

Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  11:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone

Brand new member here. I recently inherited a stamp collection and there was coins in there as well. Spent a week trying to learn about it and just need help on this one because rather confusing.

I'm just lost on how to identify the PCGS number. How do you correctly identify it from the pictures? If someone could assist and point me in right direction, I can try to figure out the rest.

thanks for your help!

Edited by bicken
11/06/2021 06:25 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42731 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is a link on grading https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
I do not know of any 1921 high relief Morgan's being made. They did mint a few 1921 Peace and a few 1922 Peace high relief.Have you checked out our sister site,the stamp forum?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sorry, I meant 1922 high relief peace / normal relief. My mistake
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the PCGS website, I'm having a lot of trouble even identifying my two coins. Could someone kindly just give me a head start and provide the PCGS number so I can learn? Appreciate the help.
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bick, first welcome to CCF. Second, it sounds like you are looking for opinions on the grade for these two coins, so I'm going to move your thread to that subforum. When grading, remember that the circulation wear generally occurs first at the high points (e.g. eagle's chest on the reverse of the Morgan dollars).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the very first picture in my post, I can say it is a Type 2, low relief coin. But then once it ask me to select MS or PR, I'm lost.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spence . Certainly! Apologies if I posted in wrong category. I would like to learn myself but perhaps someone could just point me to the right direction and maybe explain it? I have zero knowledge
Pillar of the Community
United States
8605 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It sounds like you are filling out a submission form to have these coins graded? If so STOP, wait, they are worth less then the cost of grading them, these are 99% real, from your photos and extremely common. Unless you just want them in the PCGS holder for other reasons it's not worth the cost to do that. You can always get some similar type holders at a coin supply shop for a dollar or two and save your money versus paying $30-50 per coin (after shipping and insurance is added) to put them into a holder where they will be worth around $20 each. I don't mean to come off condescending at all, not my intention, just trying to help you save your money and spend you funds wisely.

The first coin you show the 1922 is PCGS #7357 it is MS for Mint State or Regular Strike. PR is for Proof coins which is a special designation of how a coin is struck, generally for presentation sets only.

The second coin 1921 is PCGS #7296 also regular strike.

I would suggest getting a recent copy of a Whitman Guide Book to United States coins AKA "The Red Book". They should be available at any bookstore and online. As pricing isn't really relevant beyond a cursory idea, you can get an older edition from a few years ago for very little money online at eBay (in the under $5.00 shipped range).

Everything you need to know is likely contained in that book. As a person that has a 4000+ volume coin library and has been heavily immersed in the hobby/business for almost 40 years now I can without any hesitation say it's the only book you really need. Personally I like the Large print spiral bound, not because I'm getting old, (I am, but I digress) I like it to lay flat on the table while I'm working and switching from other books, coins, and magnifying glass or stereoscope it's just easier to see.

Here they are direct from the publisher:

https://whitman.com/books/current-r...-blue-books/

You have obviously found PCGS Coin Facts which is also a great site and would be my second place to send you as it's free, besides here at the CCF!

As to your photos: We are happy to help point you in the right direction, and your photos are pretty darn good for a start (better than 80% of what we get as a first try usually). One thing to consider when photographing and before posting is to edit the images, crop out the extra space around the coin and try to align them, easy with most phone cameras or image software that comes with cameras today. That makes the coin look larger and makes it much easier to ID for you.

Any thing else feel free to ask, we are here to help.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/06/2021 07:38 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42731 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bicken,
MS=mint state condition
PR= a proof coin
Your coin looks circulated business strike,not a proof coin and not in mint state condition. Hope that helps a little.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU58 for the 1922 Peace dollar and AU55 for the 1921 Morgan dollar. The Morgan seems to have a little damage by the stars to the left of Liberty's chin.
Edited by numismatic student
11/06/2021 09:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64232 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin sums your situation up well.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10245 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of grade.
It is important to hold coins correctly or oils on your hand will react with the coin over time.

to CCF
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/06/2021 11:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3284 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for the PCGS website, I'm having a lot of trouble even identifying my two coins. Could someone kindly just give me a head start and provide the PCGS number so I can learn? Appreciate the help.

Your coins are circulated common date examples with a small premium value over melt. They are nice coins to own, but I agree with westcoin do not waste your money sending them into PCGS for grading because it will not improve the coin value.

Your coins would grade in the Almost Uncirculated range.
1922 Peace dollar AU58
1921 Morgan AU55
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello westcoin, thank you for the HUGE invaluable information. It's a lot to absorb but I will study it slowly. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide all that to me!

John1, Slider23, TNG, Coinfrog and numismatic thank you also for your comments and your help!

Westcoin - haha I tried for the pictures, wasn't sure if I should use flash or not, seems like they look different when you have flash.

You guys all have a great weekend!

Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bicken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, no I wasn't going to send it to PCGS to get them graded. Someone on this reply tread sent me that so I can use the pictures and learn how to grade and identify my coins.
Learn More...
United States
108207 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: