Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50 Cents Noodling Stats And Analysis For 2021

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 551Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  03:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noodled my 25 thousand 50 cent coins for the year and here are the stats.

As expected no 1966 round 50 cents this year, but surprisingly also no 2000 incused millenniums (I usually find 4-6 per year).

Note: these figures only include noodled coins. Any full mint bags or rolls of "uncirculated" coins I received from the banks are not included because they never really made it into circulation. In effect I just bought them at face value and did not noodle them.

The final column (% of expected) is a very good indicator of the extent to which coins have been hoarded. For example I found 79% of the number of 1969 coins you would expect to find if all coins were equally distributed and still in circulation. (I found 275 when you would expect to find 347). Compare that to 23% for 1970 Captain Cook coins. If all things were equal I should have found 410 instead of 96.

The most heavily hoarded coin is therefore the 1991 Rams head 50 cent. If they were all still in circulation I would expect to find 10 times as many as what I actually found.

The coin I found way more than expected is the 2019 JC (14 times as many as you would expect). Yes they are a recent coin so probably not as hoarded as some others but I've seen a heck of a lot of full $200 mint bags on ebay which obviously never made it into circulation.

As for varieties, the stats show that 5.35% of 2000 millennium coins have "fat letters". This is almost on par with the 1994 year of the family coin where 5.87% are the wide date variety. I think a lot of people haven't found any "fat letters" coins because you really need to view them under magnification to notice the fat letters.

Of the 11 foreign coins I found masquerading as Australian 50 cent coins, 9 were Fiji 50 cents and the other 2 were from New Zealand - a large 50 cent coin and surprisingly a 1949 half crown.

The 2 mint set only coins were 1989 and 1992, and the only NCLT 50 cent coin I found this year was a 2018 United newspaper coin.

Happy noodling everyone.

Edited by MachinMachinMan
11/29/2021 03:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
720 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The most heavily hoarded coin is therefore the 1991 Rams head 50 cent.

Interesting Stats..Thanks.

I agree about the Rams Head,roller coaster since Ebay started in Oz.,at one stage circulated coins were going for A$5+.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great stats there. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1915 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4386 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to being hoarded, coins will be lost or destroyed, and that number would be roughly proportional to age. I don't think that I have ever seen any estimates of the loss rate or how that compares to hoarding, but it would be interesting to consider this factor.
Valued Member
Australia
146 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

MachinMachinMan

a great comprehensive list, thanks.

Of the 1970 Cook 50c how many have the " tilted " 7 ?

Also, though I don't think they can ever be found in circulation ( unless you're lucky ), how many of the 2004 CoA have the Pointy " A's " ? These are only available in the 2004 UNC mint sets.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1915 Posts
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As expected no 1966 round 50 cents this year

You've got me thinking - Are 1966 silver 50 cent coins extinct in the wild?

I haven't seen one.

I guess the occasional few are returned to circulation by kids who stole them from grandpa's coin collection and spent them on lollies, but the shopkeeper would more than likely pocket them himself.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
720 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You've got me thinking - Are 1966 silver 50 cent coins extinct in the wild?

Just about but Banks still get them periodically but they rarely get past the Tellers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1160 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MachinMachinMan thankyou for share the knowledge

not extinct, but you'll have to keep on trying much much rarer as the they stick out compared to background coins, not just a monetary value difference but people might take it out of circulation just for keepsakes.

I reckon there is a very large hoard of them somewhere in australia that never entered circulation and is sitting in some old CBA cotton bank in a vault, yes I know that they said that many were melted down but that still tons of silver at 80%

Oh the only silver actual silver coin that ive found personally from change was a sixpence used as a 5c coins but I gave the customer a chance to take it back. Mainly just find foreign coins trying to hide in our change.
Edited by ryurazu
12/27/2021 11:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
903 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And not a single 2000 incused .Didnt realise they were so scarce
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: