Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 P LWC Is This PMD Or Something Else?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 304Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

United States
528 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  5:26 pm Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The reverse has no damage from it. I can't tell if this is one of those coated ones either. The opposite side damage is a hit.
Thank you.

Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coat show like something hit and produce an steel fracture. Why I say steel fracture because the clear parallel steel structure are present and could be see very well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it have been fractured before strike?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13281 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is damage and has been replated and no, it could not have happened before it was struck.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basic no. If was fracture before the strike, the fracture will be coated. After the coating, the planchet go direct in the press. Between those operations, nothing can hit the planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused. So this happpened after it was struck and was then coated?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
22042 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vest my interpretation of this coin is that this is damage rather than a planchet issue or some other mint error. Exactly how it was done, I can't say but my interpretation of @sil is that part of this was sheared (parallel striations on outer part) and then at some point the remnant material fractured (rough, shiny thin portion).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5440 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the coin took a rim hit denting it in like you see, then someone re-plated the coin with a new layer of zinc to make it look brighter and newer.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55501 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are coated on the stock metal. The zinc was on them before they even punched out. Note what your are seeing is the rim is shoved into the coin direction. This happened after the strike. So the coin is damaged. If there was a coating added to your coin, it was post strike and considered a re-processed coin. Post strike and considered a problem coin. (Not original surfaces) Just like plating a coin turns it into a spender with the plating altering the surface.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that the coin took a rim hit denting it in like you see, then someone re-plated the coin with a new layer of zinc to make it look brighter and newer.

This exactly.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think this coin was re-plated. If re-plated the rim missing part will be plated. In my opinion took an hit after strike and fracture of the core metal detach. I want to be specific about production in 1943. The coins in 1943 was not plated, they was coated, which give ticker face layout of metal.

For me is very interesting coin and I will like to have.
Edited by silviosi
01/14/2022 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi, we don't know when this coin was re-plated, but you can tell just by looking at it (the shiny surface) that it obviously was re-plated. Interesting, but as coop has pointed out, numismatically ruined.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I come back to this topic, Excuse me all, in special the moderators, but I want to be separate for the purpose of education, and maybe to be put in dictionary or other places for education.

This it is the reproduction photo from metallurgical manual of metallic improvement. They has the right to publish so I just reproduce instead to scan and etc., etc.

Any feed back I will be here to explain more.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 304Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: