Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Foray Into State Coppers

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 840Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  1:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, thought I'd show off a new pickup that arrived today, a nice little 4-pack of state coppers. I went purely by eye appeal and variety that I liked best, they are all about the same color, visual quality, etc.

My favorite is the Vermont, it's a details grade but the rising sun face is really good, which to me is the most important part.

Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ! A great direction to go in.
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, marvelous old relics, most folks I find have no idea there was coinage like this before the US mint came around.

Here's a close-up of the rising sun, I think it's so hilarious that VT made this sun-face peeking over the land, like a first-grader in art class also the floating tree..

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome group!
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Are you going to attribute the die varieties? You never know, there might be a rarer one in there!
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you going to attribute the die varieties?

Will need to eventually, by "variety" up above I just meant I like the landscape VT coin better than the bust, I think this CT head looks the most "classic".. For NJ, it seemed every coin I looked at had an entirely different horse on it, I liked the pointy/bulbous 'snout' on this one

So as you see I have some learning to do, but that is part of the fun.
Learn More...
United States
24163 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @tim. Colonial copper is definitely interesting!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5730 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent examples you picked up! Really stellar coins. The majority of colonials out there are problem coins in some way. You've managed to get a lot of really nice examples, congrats!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great start. I'm also collecting the early coppers. Amazing connection to history. So much subtle symbolism and detail in those early designs. Thanks for sharing,those are nice.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1643 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2022  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice quartett of State coppers. Congratulations.
The Vermont Landscape would be my favourite too. There is something very 'quintessential' about them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2022  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Vermont landscapes are my favorite as well. If you don't have one, get a copy of Whitman's Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins. You'll be able to ID all of yours with it. Start with the easiest and work your way to the harder ones Vermont should be the easiest, then New Jersey, toss up on the other two, and you are absolutely correct, the research and learning is all part of it! I love trying to attribute low grade Connecticuts looking for a hidden gem!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1103 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm going to be looking to purchase some state copper, those are too cool! Thanks for sharing.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Edited by thecoinguy1964
04/04/2022 6:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steviegetz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!, you gotta show the reverses!
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice!, you gotta show the reverses!

If you insist! Sure is hard to take good pics of coins in slabs, with all those reflections, but here's the general idea.

Now on the hunt for a Fugio & a Nova Constellatio, boy this colonial thing could get addictive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Addictive? No, not at all, I am closing in on 60 Connecticut varieties now!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 840Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: