Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 Peace Dollar For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 712Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  6:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend of mine inherited a coin collection about 8 years ago. At the time they decided they wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons. In summer of 2019 I was able to buy most of the "junk" silver. Today they handed me the rest of the collection & asked for an offer. There are 14 GSA CC Morgans, a complete Whitman album of Peace dollars, & 3 Whitman Morgan dollar albums that are nearly complete. I apologize in advance for the pictures. My old computer died, I haven't figured out how to use the new one, & I don't have a photo program to rotate the photos...not to mention these are just quick shots. Anyway, here are the pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69088 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse pic please. Pics are too dark to see surface details clearly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3632 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing that needs to be done is soak the coin in Acetone to remove what looks like green PCV on the obverse. If that does not work, get some Verdi Care to soak the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peace dollars are one of the most difficult coins to grade, JMHO. Even in mint state, they just look blah.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7826 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need a reverse photos, agreed that some more light on the coin would help.

In mint state that is a key date, in average circulated state its a common coin - so accurate photos with this one make a difference.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though the pics are a little dark...I'm not seeing any major hits to the neck/cheek/nose. The rays look good...
The spot mentioned by the lower hair curl near the neck needs attention...over all a very nice looking key date. Without the reverse it's hard to through a grade on her, but if it's as nice as the obverse...mid-MS.

With all the coins mentioned for this collection...curious why you choose this ONE?
If they all look about the same comdition...that's quiet a nice little set!

Hope you follow up and let us know if you're able to make an offer and they accept it.

Peace dollars don't look blah to me...They're my favorites...jmho

smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said the pictures are not the best. I've been waiting for my friend to make the decision to sell for 8 years & was excited they finally did. Guess I jumped the gun by posting with bad pics.

In hand the green spot was a dark colored dot. It showed up as green in the picture. Not sure why some people are able to see the obverse & not reverse....I posted both.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10507 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only see two obverse images as well. Maybe both file names are the same?
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12241 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If that does not work, get some Verdi Care to soak the coin.

I'm not an expert on VerdiCare but I thought it was only for copper?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3632 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the advertisement for Verdi Care on Wizard Coin Supply: VERDI-CARE™ is designed to work on all metal coin surfaces: gold, silver, copper, brass, etc. No more trial and error, no more guesswork, no more worries. VERDI-CARE™ is safe, gentle and effective as a surface debris remover. VERDI-CARE™ allows collectors to conserve their coins and not strip them clean of luster and original patina. There is a big difference between conservation and cleaning. With VERDI-CARE™ you can be sure not to cross that line due to its safe and gentle nature. Your coins will be conserved, not cleaned. Problems like light surface residue, verdigris and corrosion can now be addressed without resorting to expensive, third-party conservation services.

I used it on Buffs with the green crud and got excellent results. I have not used it on silver. If the coin had the green crud, I would have no problem using Verdi Care.
Edited by Slider23
04/05/2022 3:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9086 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, only one side but the patina looks fantastic and doesn't look banged up. The spot is a small concern - be careful you don't disturb the stunning surfaces addressing it.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one also went to ANACS. I paid extra for conservation on the lot because I had a few coins that needed it. They just posted order details on the website & it straight graded at MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7826 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it straight graded at MS63

Nice result - thanks for the followup update
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10507 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to after images.
1883-O Nut
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 712Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: