Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Often Do You "Commune" With Your Coin Collection?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 654Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  9:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How often do you actually get to see your coin collection? I keep mine in a safe deposit box at the bank and only go into it when I have something to add, so maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and even then it's usually drop and run because my wife is waiting for me in the car. (She has zero interest in coins unless it's how much the collection is worth.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weekly I'll pull out parts of my collection and look at it. Depends on the series though. I look at the Lincoln cents and Indian Head cents more than other collections on average. But once every 2 weeks I look at all my raw coins and notes. And once a month or every other month I look at all my slabbed coins and the ASE and commemoratives in the OGP. On average 2-3 times a week I look at some part of my collection.

What good is a collection if you don't look at it/appreciate it?
Edited by hfjacinto
05/14/2022 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
590 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with hfjacinto

I don't get the point of having a collection at your bank and only opening it to add something.

Anyone doing this please send me your collection so I can enjoy it

Forgot to add I try to look at my collection on a weekly basis
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
05/14/2022 9:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look at all of my dollars one by one at least once every week or two. I find it very relaxing. My other coins maybe once every few months. Silver dollars are my passion. I think I'll pull them out of the safe now.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3932 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection is kept at home, but to hard to grab it out and look at it.
I have pictures of every coin on my computer and in the CCF gallery, so I browse them all the time.
The only time I see the actual coins, is when I add coins to the collection.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
769 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection is also at my house. And if I have time, then I can sit all day, shifting them from one box to another, putting unnecessary coins up for sale, changing the packaging, etc. In general, interact with your collection in full.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit I've always looked at parts of my collection regularly, particularly my certified coins and currency that make up the core of my collection. I never really tire of it. My wife just shakes her head a bit when I have stuff spread out all over the place (she has never had any interest whatsoever, even after being married to me almost 42 years ).

Often this happens as I'm adding new items, which I do quite regularly, reviewing coins I'm considering upgrading, or the rare times I'm thinking about selling some stuff.

When I'm not doing that, I'm often going through and reviewing/reorganizing my many highly-detailed Excel spreadsheets where I have everything from my various collections cataloged.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't even get me started on the currency. I'll start with colonial and go all the way up to a set of consecutive $2 bills from 2017. That takes a while. Just thinking about all the history. The War of independence, the continental congress, when only banks could issue paper, fractionals to horse blankets to small sized to the end of national currency and gold certificates. WWII notes (Hawaii, North Africa to the S and R), end of silver certificates and the last 1966 Red seal ($100). The history of us currency is fascinating.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look at all my coins at least 25 times every day.

Not really. I am between housing situations and about to go off to school, but the coins I have on hand maybe once a week. I miss the coins that I can't see now (my good stuff, it is in a bigger safe 1,700 miles away), it makes coin collecting less accomplishing. I paid $780 for $7.50 face in gold, and I haven't had the chance to see it. It's been five months!!

What's my reasoning to send the gold elsewhere? Save on sales tax
Learn More...
Australia
14363 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a member of four coin clubs, and each of the clubs has a "theme" for their monthly meetings. So four times a month, I am going through the collection, looking for coins that might support the topic. Then I have to go though again to put them away again. This isn't counting whenever I buy a bunch of coins and have to put them all away, or go to the collection to find something to contribute to a forum discussion.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3953 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coins are all in a cupboard next to the computer, good ones in albums and flips, sets in boxes and the loose shrapnel, world coins in metal tins and plastic bags.

I would go through the main albums every week to every month. Like everyone else, they come out with additions. Currently I am up to about 10 main albums. The ones that get the most use and love are the Halfcrowns/Florins of the UK, Australian/Fijian Predecimal and NZ Predecimal and Tokens.

I also have frequent albums for shillings, British Bronze, World Silver, Australian/Britain and Fiji modern, NZ modern, USA modern and Australian $2 coins (Small). Every 2 or 3 months I look through the 4 big shoeboxes that have my coin sets in them and proof/small NZ dollars etc.

Coins need to be near, but I never leave albums out on display when not home and do not advertise I am a collector to strangers.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20695 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coins are all over the house so I see them all the time.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17453 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ just carl; Not a good idea disclosing to all where we keep our money . Now tell us where all the Mercs are .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually look at a part of my collection at least twice a week. Luckly they are at home house next to my desk. I often look over at the different containers, albums, boxes and just pull them out and start looking. In turn, it gets me to start searching and buy more coins to complete my collection or upgrade lower quality coins.
Learn More...
United States
38615 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:09 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
every day
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: