Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1980 D Nickel Worth The Time?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 370Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  04:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1980 D nickel and the date, which we all know is on the obverse appears to be double stamped. Can y'all please tell me whether it's worth my time? Thanks in advance

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45723 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
24163 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the distortion in the letters and numbers is due to this coin being struck from a tired die. This one would be a spender for me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15739 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice the flow lines running towards the rim,
that is caused by Die Deterioration.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8913 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Die Deterioration. Also, the arc across the top of Jefferson's head appears to be a mark left by a coin rolling machine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2476 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're confused about two things. The doubling people usually talk about on coins is not the same as a double struck coin. A coin that is double struck in the collar is a completely different thing what I assume you're asking about, which is die doubling. This coin is neither, but it's important to understand what a doubled die is and how it's made, otherwise you're going to keep misidentifying things. I suggest reading the pages on how doubled dies are made and also the page on "worthless doubling" on Wexler's Die Varieties for more information.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
1972-P DDO-008/FS-108: http://goccf.com/t/405558
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD for sure, agree a spender.

to the CCF!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your expert opinion and suggestions. They are disappointing but much appreciated. I know I have a lot to learn. I'll get there. Thanks again
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raizac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NO back to the bank to get your nickel back it's D.D.D.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more you study coins, the more you figure out. Sometimes bad things, other times good things. I guess I'm a see how one thing relates to another person. Learning more about differences and what causes them. So I learn something new almost daily. I realize that more than one thing can happen to a single coin. So it is not just a single answer. Thus my longer answers at times. Other times it is short, because not much that the coin tells me. Training the eyes will help you discern if I should set it aside for a second look, or to toss it back into circulation.
On this coin, the fields are screaming out about a die flow lines issue. The date distortion is telling me this coin has been polished a second time and the fields are ready for the third round of polishing. When the this happens the fields with look fresh, but the devices will continue to age as the die will be continued to be used.
Note the fields and devices on these coins:
After the first polishing:

Note the devices are still fresh, not distorted yet. So this is after the first polishing and heading towards a second polishing.

After the second polishing example is the coin above.
Note the heavy die flow, but with after the second polishing, but note how the devices are distorted. The date especially. It reminds me of an again person in middle age. We are starting to suffer the aging process, with little issues that may side line us.

After the third polishing the devices will continue to show even more distortion.

Note how the devices are spreading out even more, but note this is just the beginning after the third polishing. Note the fields are still fresh looking? But the devices are showing heavier die wear than on the OP's coin. But as the die continues to age, it gets even worse.

Die flow is beginning to start up again. Note the devices are starting to break down even more.

On cents the back of the shoulder is showing extreme die wear on that one area. But the fields just showing a little die flow.

Dimes will start showing the stronger distortion at this point. Note the die flow lines are coming back, but note the distortion of the devices? It continues to age more and more as more strikes are happening.

Dollars devices start to spread out even more as more coins are struck.

Note how the die flow lines get stronger after the the third polishing, the distortion of the devices continues. The die is nearing retirement at this point, but, it may even face another polishing. Depending on how bad the dies devices are.

Do they do a fourth polishing? Sometimes.

As the dies continue to age, they really start distortion.

So this helps us to realize the dies themselves if they survive to the later die states, can be over used even more. Some really ugly coins are the result.
So this helps brighten our information of the aging process. The percentage of coins in the die states breaks down to this:

So note, most the coins are struck in the VLDS die state. So no wonder we roll our eyes when we see see extreme die wear. These coins don't go into collections. They back into circulation. Hope this helps with this discussion.

CoopHome: Are extreme die wear coins worth saving? Are they common? What does die wear look like?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: