Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Hole I Thought I'd Never Fill.1909-S VDB Gift

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,020Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today we are celebrating my last chemo treatment. It has been a crap year to be honest, going through cancer and all that comes with. When I returned from the hospital, a surprise package was waiting for me. My family got together and bought me a 1909-S VDB coin. I happened to mention to my brother a few months ago that my Lincoln collection was "complete" because I am just too frugal to ever purchase the last 2 coins (1909-S VDB and 1914-D). Quite a happy shock to see this arrive. A much better coin than I would have been willing to splurge for myself. Of course, now I will have to finish it and get that last coin.
Not a great pic...I just snapped it with my phone...but you get the gist.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2364 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful, thoughtful gift! Your family sounds like mine - to be treasured and much appreciated. Congrats on that next-to-last hole fill and best wishes for continued recovery.

Edited: spelling
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
06/09/2022 4:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5254 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats el capitan del cafe! A beautiful addition to your collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congrats!
Great present from your family!

* All the best and speedy recovery!*
Learn More...
United States
24271 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cap, that is so nice of your brother and other family members to do for you. With this anchor coin grading in at AU-50, you could also focus on upgrades for your lower graded cents in other years. You have plenty of work to do!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah...with this one coin being worth more than all the rest of LWCs and LMCs in my Dansco put together, I may have to make a few upgrades. However, almost half the collection was given to me 40 years ago when my great-aunt passed away, so I want to keep much of it intact for sentimental reasons.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70456 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How wonderful - the coin of course, but most importantly, you're on the road to recovery. God bless.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6032 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on 2 great events, that is one nice coin, that I'll never see.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a beautiful coin hope all turns out well for you
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your health update. Also what a wonderful family.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats!
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the coin and good luck with your recovery.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest congrats will be for finishing your chemo - I wish you all the best during your recovery. And congrats on the new acquisition - that '09-S VDB a wonderful example of the coin so many of us dreamed of from the time we first started putting Lincoln cents into the Whitman folders back when we were just kids.

I can't begin to imagine how you must have felt when your family gave this beautiful coin to you. That's a truly moving and wonderful thing they've done for you.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Edited by hokiefan_82
06/10/2022 01:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
893 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not the time to die!
You still have tasks to complete your set and upgrade coins to the best.
Your family is very caring. God bless you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7933 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great gift and congratulations on finishing the chemo. Best of wishes going forward.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,020Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: