Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Any Mercury Dime Collectors Out There Or Are They Almost Non Existent

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 3,057Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set. I've always loved Mercury dimes. I'm just missing the 16-D.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If that empty hole bothers you, plug it with two dimes, a 1916 atop a D mint reverse dime.

That is genius!! Make it BU while you're at it
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ae802000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome collection! I am missing the same three Mercury dimes as some of you but all mine are low grades but it is still cool in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the beginnings of a set. Something I stated after inheriting a few from my grandfathers pocket change in the 90s, and adding a few more when silver was $7/oz. My plan is to work on it again with my daughter after we've done V nickels and Franklin half's. She just turned 5, so no rush happing here. Maybe in a decade.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guilty of collecting Mercury dimes.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1063 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great set.
I must admit I like 10 cent coins. I am building Barber dime PCGS (but now it has become impossible). And even though I've never collected mercury, I love the 10 cent coin series.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2279 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mercury dimes were my first collection started when I was 10 years old in the 1950's. All except the 16-D were collected from circulation - my dad's pocket change. It's not a high end collection but is quite valuable to me. .
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set!

Mine is just missing the 1916-D as well. I should also add my set does not include the 1945 Micro-S, but that is not on my list.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the 1937 and all issues 1938-1945, all in mostly MS64-MS66 grades, so there is at least one collector out there. I do have a long way to go, but that is okay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5617 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have the 2016 gold one. That was a splurge purchase.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My plan is to work on it again with my daughter after we've done V nickels and Franklin half's. She just turned 5, so no rush happing here.

How fun!! A hobby is far more enjoyable when there are other friends involved. Glad to hear there is a young collector being trained to enjoy history!

Quote:
I also have the 2016 gold one. That was a splurge purchase.

What a cool splurge! The gold 2016's are very beautiful coins, well done
Pillar of the Community
United States
8107 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one I had fun with. http://goccf.com/t/153366
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice 52 Raymo ,My local coin store won't buy a 16-D not slabbed and said don't ever buy one that isn't.
Also they said don't ever buy a 1889-CC not slabbed either.
Both coins are known for many fakes I guess.
Another coin dealer several months ago at a coin show advised me to buy all the expensive coins first but it was already to late for me.I'm not that patient anyway.Ha!Ha!
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting Mercury dimes pretty exclusively for several years now!

I'm 50 now, collected wheat pennies and other coins people gave me when I was a kid, annual mint products: commemorative silver and proof sets, etc. Then started buying modern commemorative gold around 2004, modern commemorative silver after that, first coin purchases since the mid 1980s. Then became interested in the classic series, buying some well worn Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty half dollars from pawn shops and the like, and partially filled albums of barber and Standing Liberty quarters from a few local auctions.

Eventually, I landed on Mercury dimes as a series to explore further; the design and other aspects of this important series in American numismatics really resonated with me.

Then, after reading many articles about numismatics, and collecting strategies, I decided to focus my efforts, narrowing down to a sub-niche: early date branch mint Mercury dimes - Denver and Frisco Mercury dimes from the teens and twenties. These issues are more rare due to mintage numbers, but also because coin collecting as a hobby didn't really take off until the thirties, when more mint state coins were saved. By then most dimes minted from even just a few years prior were already worn down quickly from circulation.

This Coin Week article really helped send me on this path as well:
https://coinweek.com/us-coins/assem...es-low-cost/
"The cool thing about Mercury dimes is that original EF to AU coins for mintmarked dates from the teens and twenties are exceptionally challenging. These are underpriced. Most of the ones that have been certified have been artificially brightened, not original. You can find original EF to AU Mercury dimes, but you must search for them."

The other thing that happened around the same time, or perhaps later--once I had a little more money available to dedicate to building a collection of this sort, and gained a greater appreciate for numismatics in general--luster started to matter a lot more to me!

Originally, I had more or less targeted XF grade coins, but the luster kept drawing me in. Where possible, I tried to stretch my budget to consider more AU level specimens, looking for well struck PQ specimens, with original surfaces and natural toning, the more luster the better.

I've really enjoyed exploring this niche area of the Mercury dime series, there are some very tough dates both for Denver and San Francisco in high AU grade such as 1917-D; 1919-D & S; 1925-D & S; 1923-S; 1924-S, 1927-S, 1928-S (large S) -- with original surfaces and natural toning, and luster. I'm trying to become as knowledgeable as possible on what to look for and where to find choice specimens.

I think what dealers will tell you is that there just isn't a sustained market for lower grade pieces, especially common dates. So my compromise was to target fewer higher grade examples from a narrower and more challenging sub-set (teens and twenties Denver and Frisco), rather than the entire series in lower grade.
Edited by one_fine_dime
10/02/2022 8:34 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 3,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: