Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

At What Point Will A Coin Receive A "Details" Designation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 638Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  07:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the posting below and was surprised that PCGS actually gave it a grade and not a "details" designation based upon the reverse where it looks like someone hit it with a Flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1446143630...s&media=COPY

At what point does a coin get assigned a detailed designation? Is it correct in thinking that this differs based upon the type/age of the coin?

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17784 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type or age does not matter . There are different scenario's that make for a details coin : some types of scratches , graffiti , cleaned coin , damage , deep gouge , etc.

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't that coin on the link qualify as a deep gouge though? I would have to believe if you had something of similar magnitude on a Morgan that they would slap details on it in a second.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to take into consideration the grade. The coin shown at AG3, can be well worn but since it doesn't exhibit corrosion PCGS let it slide. With older coins and key dates, I have seen coins that are straight graded that I would consider details.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5567 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general a coin is labeled "Details" if the damage occurred after it had been put into circulation by the Mint.
Apparently those marks were judged to occur during the production of the coin.
(How is a whole 'nother story.)
LOTS of odd features showed up on early US coins.
In 1793 they were just learning.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3674 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On old copper large cents pre 1815 in grades below XF, the coins are graded at a different standard. The TPG's are accepting of issues like scratches, pitting, corrasion, and cleaning that they find market acceptable. For example, to find any large cent pre 1815 problem free in VF condition with original skin is a major challenge.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
890 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also be interested in why this scratch on the reverse was not classified as details but received AG03.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is suggested above that if the damage occurred before the coin was put into circulation (or existed in the copper planchet) then it doesn't get detailed, but then why do we sometimes see "planchet flaw" as a details indicator?

I have been looking at some of these old coppers to buy for myself, and feel certain they let stuff slide that would certainly not pass on later coins.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been debating on whether or not to send in my 1795-98 large cents in for grading that I bought when I first started collecting again as an adult. Ideally I would like to have ones from each year that are slabbed without a details designation but I can't decide if the better route is to go out and buy another batch that is already slabbed or to roll the dice and send in the ones I already own.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it correct that some of the issues that the TPGs will be more accepting of for lower graded Pre 1815 coppers will still be counted against them for EAC grading?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images in the ebay store are dark and just plain terrible, all I can make out is that divot on the obverse. Not sure how PCGS could determine that this was caused prior to being released into the general public.
Edited by Dearborn
06/28/2022 9:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8038 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish it was mine.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 638Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: