Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roosevelt Dime Die Changes Over Time. An Observation.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 332Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are die changes in the Roosevelt dimes over time. I don't know if there is a reference site regarding the changes in dies but I know what I see. The following photos show some of the changes I have found. The 1965 shows the Liberty far into the rim of the coin. The moto shows the I and the W to be almost wore off. This pattern is repeated at least through1978.I had no dimes for 1979 through 1987 at this time. The first major change I found was 1988. It appears the obverse was reduced in size. This moved the letters inward and away from the rim which appears to have preserved them a bit from damage. During this time, the date and mint mark did not appear reduced in size. Starting in 2000, there was another reduction. Check the letters. I'm sure there are good reasons to change the design of a die but I don't know why. In some cases, it may be to reduce wear on the die and make them last longer. In any case it's interesting to see. Let me know what you think.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58884 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The distance will change from the different die states, also different master die creations. Different designs also look slightly different. The best way to determining which is to compare examples from the same year. If they are in different locations that year, then it is a die wear issue. So determine which issue it is. If you go to PCGS, they have slabbed coins there that are from high grade coins. So you can compare examples in the better grades. If all the coins look the same from the same year, then that is normal for that year. If there are different distances, then it can be a die wear issue. Die in the later die states that the devices are distorted can be closer to the rim. None of this adds a value to a coin, just the information to how/why this happens. But always compare with the same year to get a definite answer. Also die polishing can make the devices smaller when the fields are reduced. So when you look at the examples on the site, then you will now know what to look for on that years coins. (Even proofs will be the same) Since 1999 the dimes are from the single squeeze dies process and are created at the different locations. So that could also factor in the with the different years/mint locations on the designs.

For more information on die swelling and location of devices near the rim changing:
Cents:
http://goccf.com/t/421952#3631456

http://goccf.com/t/422004#3632068

http://goccf.com/t/422247#3634505

http://goccf.com/t/414010#3557054
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/02/2022 6:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice write up. thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop. I had read about the issues on the cents but not on the dimes. I actually pulled 31 dimes and compared them to see how they looked. Each was either a different year or mints within the same year. The changes were consistent. The same holds true for the reverse on the coins. Dimes have a similar issue with a close and Wide AM. However, no one ever seems to mention it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the mention of CAM on dimes because several years ago I started putting those aside and now have many. I have not heard of anyone else who has an interest so I have not pursued this subject
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add a post on those reverse dimes regarding the CAMs. I need to gather my photos and see if I can add a date range on the event to get a timing range. Once I get that put together, I drop a post on it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 332Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: