Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 Lincoln Cent, You Versus PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 699Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  8:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1960 Lincoln Cent

NOTE: Images of this coin are quite difficult to the extent that there is not even a TrueView image available. Nevertheless it should be entertaining.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that may be the first AT Lincoln I've seen. Interesting. Appears to have been a fairly high grade coin.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS PR Genuine Questionable Color- UNC Detail
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
08/10/2022 10:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71560 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't even hazard a guess. Assume it straight-graded, POS to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2641 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's on ebay with a $5K BIN price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nfine- Really?

That's a bad sport, please refrain from doing that in the future.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that comment made me check out eBay. I won't spoil anything that hasn't already been spoiled, but if PCGS can straight grade this and refuse to cross my 1838-O dime, then I just can't...
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that the cat is out of the bag about this coin being on eBay, I will point out that there is a second one also dated 1960. Both have the same type and colors of toning. They are twins, so-to-speak.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at that sellers coins, I am incredibly skeptical. They all have that same type of rainbow toning, looking way artificial. None of them have Trueviews that I can see either
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe for a second that this isn't AT.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumismaticsFTW

Here are links to both coins on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193231147919
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193231148027

If you look through this eBay seller's other items, there is - for example - a 1964-D quarter with really dark obverse toning. I have seen this exact kind of toning on different coins separated by years of time and different locations\people involved - a fresh-to-market Victoria shilling, Seated half dollar, and a Peace dollar. So, at least for that coin's (1964-D quarter) color, in my experience it is legit. But that is only for that single item. However, that $4,900 ask price is absurd.

The seller is involved in "antique" and "vintage" silver\gold bars. That market is murky because valuation is difficult. I've never figured out how the premiums are calculated other than throw a big number on to it, and if somebody comes along and bites on it, then great.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/11/2022 05:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12938 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
copper does some crazy things when exposed to any elements over years. the toning progression matches the correct sequence of yellow, blue, green, purple. in this case moving left to right. I think the toning is natural.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71560 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No appeal to me whatsoever.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2261 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd stay six feet away from this coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8047 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:37 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like laser toning.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like AT to me....
A look at the seller's account shows mostly AT slabbed coins for absurd prices.....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 699Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: