Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Wheat Penny Lamination Error? And DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 328Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add raingoddessyume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay you guys this coin here is definitely a puzzle. It is obviously worn to heck and back in 105 odd years of circulation but there is just a lot happening with this coin that is hard to ignore.

The Lincoln bust has very few details obviously but it looks raised somehow as if it were double stamped and no one realized it before the penny was beyond well circulated. Or maybe its Machine Doubling and I am just seeing things.

This coin looks like it might possibly have had a mint mark at one point or maybe I am just imagining things to be there when they are not but I just thought I'd mention to make sure. So if I am seeing things that aren't there please be sure to point that out.

I am more interested in figuring out the lamination error on the back because my coin looks like at one point or another came in contact with a raised VBD coin or maybe LIBERTY near the wheat stalk from another coin and it left an impression in the faulty lamination as it flaked off

The coin does weigh 3.0 grams so nothing too suspicious there as far as an error weight would go. So what are your thoughts and would it be worth going through the grading process or is coin pretty much junk at this point?

Edited by raingoddessyume
08/14/2022 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2170 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely some reverse lamination going on. The obverse, in my opinion, has too much circulation wear and damage to tell if MDing took place. I see no evidence of hub doubling or of a mintmark.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Long-ago lam, good eye!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21960 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, but waaaaaaayyyyyy too many photos. One large image of each side would be sufficient.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9288 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above. Sadly, not seeing any form of doubling on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...nice pick-up on the de-lamination....keep hunting/posting (few less photos).

KK
Learn More...
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rain, here is a link to the varietyvista page for the one known DDO for this year so that you can compare against your own cent:

http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20...O%201917.htm
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59516 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note how the '9' will show a split on the inside curve:

Your coin is showing a lot of circulation flattening. It is not a DDO, but it has a minor lamination issue on the reverse.

A closer view of a coin circulated a little.

More circulated coins with a circulation flattening on both them. Note how the "9" is still larger on the DDO? Your coin is from a normal die. Not a DDO.

CoopHome: How to tell a 1917 DDO with circulation flattening compared with a normal coin? DDO shows spread on 9
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: