Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 P Quarter Missing Clad Strip Or PMD?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 590Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  4:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone,
I recently found this quarter and it jumped out at me because of the copper strip across the reverse. The coin weighs 5.63g which is ever so slightly lighter than average but still within the mint's tolerance. It could have been missing clad before the strip was rolled which would account for the normal weight and the even strike.

That said, the main thing causing me a little hesitation is that the missing clad doesn't impact the rim which seems both odd and unlikely to occur naturally.

Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thought is residue of some type, which might come off in a pure acetone bath. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@crh, that is kinda interesting. I agree with @half that this isn't a strip of copper showing through since it doesn't extend into the rims and there are small areas where the color is coming back to grey. You could confirm by checking the coin's weight as it would be low if a strip of that size was missing.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a stain not missing clad.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think John1 is correct. It's a stain. Regards.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there was a lamination strip, there should be some evidence of a sharp edge.
20x or more magnification should provide a definitive answer, but from what I see on my 24 inch computer monitor, I have to agree with above comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like maybe the nickel layer had a gap in it, which when the layers were bonded together let the copper layer squeezed into the gap. I think Coop has some pictures of strips. The weight would be the same because no material is missing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean toward a stain of some sort, however it came to be there.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the quick responses! I've tried using 100% acetone and it has no impact on the strip. No fading, no color pulled off, etc. So if it is a stain it's not impacted by acetone.

@Cujohn the scenario you mentioned is the exact same one I was thinking about as a possibility for how it could be an actual mint error. That's why the biggest hang-up to the theory in my mind is that clad isn't missing from the rims. I would expect clad to be missing the whole way across, including the rims if that's how it was produced.

So I don't think it's a stain but I also am not sure how this could be produced at the mint.

Another interesting curiosity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3270 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Cujohn.
The upturning mill putting on the protorim might have caused the cladding to overlap the copper strip.

Can you get a closeup image of those areas of the rim?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, I'm more than happy to provide additional images! I think this is about as magnified as I'll be able to get:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a missing cladding or carefully removed? Note the area that color is weaker on just that area. So it made have fell off post strike or was removed? But it seems odd that the rim is still the normal color?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, that's what I was thinking on the upsetting mill pushed the nickel over the copper .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3270 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those extra images but you included images of the rim, not the edge. Maybe I should have said reeds.
The reeds are from the "Third" die used in striking coins.

Yepper Cujohn, I had a feeling that's where you were coming from. Hard to know for sure but hopefully an image of the reeds in this area might help.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is not missing clad by Mint production errors. I see remaining clad everywhere. This it is humans made simulation of the missing clad.

Sorry just an DAMAGE coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: