Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hurray (Sort Of) For The Post Office!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 662Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, last year in October, the U.S. Mint shipped my order for 4 New Orleans Morgan dollars. Tracking showed the Post Office never received them, so I wound up having to buy the three I wanted on eBay, since the mint obviously had no replacements. Took them about two months to refund me for them. All is sort of ok, I just spent a lot more than I wanted for those three coins.
Today the mailman brings me a package from the fulfillment center in Memphis, obviously from the mint. I'm thinking, "I have nothing on order, what could this be?"
I open it, it is my 4 Morgan dollars. Shipped Oct. 25, 2021. Arrived Nov 3, 2022.
Tracking shows received by the Post Office in Texas last week.
U.S. Mint shows no record of the order in my history, apparently deleted when they refunded me.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, 87%, Capital Plastics Fine or better, 97%, Caps Fine or better, 98% Dansco any x3, 90%, 63%, 37% and Coin Board for wall display, any grade, 97%.. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Learn More...
United States
120847 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is... wow.

The right thing to do is "make the seller whole," but I am afraid your efforts might only make things worse for all parties.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4662 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you should not open up that can of worms. Someone's mistake ended up costing you. If you feel badly about this, send something to the charity of your choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just astounded at the 53 weeks delivery time.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, 87%, Capital Plastics Fine or better, 97%, Caps Fine or better, 98% Dansco any x3, 90%, 63%, 37% and Coin Board for wall display, any grade, 97%.. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a story...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14102 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5623 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was you I would enjoy my 4 O Morgan's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6687 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess your missing package was either hung up in a mail sack or shipping bin; got trapped in or under a conveyor during sorting or was lost behind a shelf or cabinet somewhere. At least it showed up!

As my late Mother used to say when we were young and facing an ethical or moral issue: "Let your conscience be your guide".

Learn More...
United States
120847 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone's mistake ended up costing you. If you feel badly about this, send something to the charity of your choice.
I did not fully consider that the replacement coins had to be acquired at a much higher price. A donation to offset the gain is not a bad idea.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this post was intended to be about the Post Office losing a package and finding it a year later, but it seems to have morphed into something else.
I had no desire to try to deal with the mint on this, that would be an exercise in futility. I've tried stuff like that before. If I actually sent the coins back after trying to explain what happened to fourteen different people who pass me off to someone else because "I'm not sure how to handle this", most likely result is that they would give me another refund. They just aren't set up to deal with this type of situation.
I wasn't really thinking about the monetary aspects of this, but on analysis, I spent $340 on the 4 originally, planning to sell one. At the time, I could have gotten about $200 on eBay for it, giving me a net outlay for my 3 of about $140. I wound up buying 3 on eBay for an average of $200 each, for a $600 outlay, meaning I spent an extra $460 because of the lost package.
Right now these are selling for about $140 each on eBay, so if I sold all 4, after fees and shipping, I would probably net about $440. Basically a wash, no profit, no loss.

But the Post Office found my package after a year and delivered it!!!!!
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5851 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great story. What are the odds? Pretty cool.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
120847 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Basically a wash, no profit, no loss.
Sounds fair enough to me.

Quote:
But the Post Office found my package after a year and delivered it!!!!!
True. It should be acknowledged that this is the more interesting part of the topic. I apologize for pointing it away from that.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What an interesting tale with all of its twists and turns.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to work in the mail room at a large bank. One time a piece of mail came in that was postmarked two years prior. It was marked, "found in unused equipment" we joked that they person that ran the equipment just came back from break.
Learn More...
United States
120847 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One time a piece of mail came in that was postmarked two years prior. It was marked, "found in unused equipment" we joked that they person that ran the equipment just came back from break.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: