Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eisenhower Silver Proofs

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 737Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious as to how many of you like to collect 40 percent silver Eisenhower proofs. I have been on a stacking spree, usually paying somewhere in the $12-15 range (including shipping and tax) for ungraded ones.

I try to buy only the ones that, in my opinion, look to be in mint state condition. They contain .31 oz of silver, so I know I'd be better off trying to purchase silver eagles in the $30 range, but the Eisenhowers are pretty, too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12365 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6624 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Love the silver Ike's but the proofs got foggy pretty quick in the govt holders.

We all have quirks about what we like to collect (or hoard).
I like 82 Washington half dollars, 38-D buffalos, 43 Steelies in high grades. Recently, I've been on the hunt for the 2019 and 2020 W quarters that can still be pulled from circ.

We do funny things. Keep hunting!

Edited by westernsky
11/22/2022 9:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10068 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like kicking an ant hill...
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1944: Sounds like you are saying that collecting Eisenhowers can get you bitten like kicking an anthill. Is that what you meant? :)
Edited by thomaskl
11/22/2022 9:39 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have quite a few of the brown Ikes still in government holders. Would I be better off removing them and putting them in coin flips, or will that hurt my chances of reselling them if need be? Like westernsky said, a few of them are foggy. Then again, I have quite a few sparkly ones. Most of these were purchased years ago for probably less than $10 each.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8583 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
118654 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just wait until Jbuck reads this topic...

I have two sets of them. All the Ikes, not just the silver ones.

The Dansco set has not been photographed, but you can see the PCGS set linked below in my signature.
Learn More...
United States
118654 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do have quite a few of the brown Ikes still in government holders. Would I be better off removing them and putting them in coin flips, or will that hurt my chances of reselling them if need be? Like westernsky said, a few of them are foggy.
I think the only reason they all seem to be that way now is that all of the good ones have been cracked from the OGP and sent to TPGs for slabbing.

I believe that their getting foggy has more to do with how they were stored than the holders alone. They are not airtight, so they offer little protection from the environment. Also, the plastic may not hold up as well in extreme conditions as modern formulas would.

Here is a response from Conder101 in a previous topic... http://goccf.com/t/168141&whichpage=2#1551069

Quote:
Why do so many of the brown ikes show this film? I think it is because they are so common that they were hard to sell and back in the 1970's a great many of these coins traveled from show to show to show in the unairconditioned trucks of dealers cars (no minivans back then and most dealers just drove sedans and carried their coins in the trunk.) So those brown Ikes got baked time after time at 140 degree temperatures traveling from show to show. The high heat cause the plastic to break down and outgas with the fumes condensing on the coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8536 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect them, per se, but I do have a 1971-S in its original case. Every collector of US material needs at least one!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago I was on a brown Ike kick . 40% Silver and they had nice
eye appeal . I too was paying $12-$15 for them . I wonder how much they are now ?
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
118654 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every collector of US material needs at least one!
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont collect them & I have a distaste for 40% silver. That being said I have about 10
Edit - 2 are proof 8 are unc.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Edited by Jakes Coins
11/23/2022 11:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1968 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've picked up a few over the last couple years.........

All the original boxes are full too. The silver bicentennial proof sets cost me $8 each about 2 years ago. I paid as much as $15 for the 1973 sets but usually less. Other years less than $10.

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set, Ratman!
Learn More...
United States
118654 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've picked up a few over the last couple years.........
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 737Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: