Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Value Toning On Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 854Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  12:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My problem is shopping for deals on eBay and other places, and it is consuming my life. What I don't understand is how some toned seem to fetch a huge price while others do not. When it comes to toning, what do you look for? What is the process of determining values?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10624 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is a very subjective factor when it comes to coins. There's the sometimes heated conversation over 'natural' vs. 'artificial' toning. There are some collectors who want no part of toning, while there are others who will opt for a toned example over one that isn't. It really comes down to what catches your eye and what you find compelling and attractive. If you approach the issue simply from the perspective of monetary value/reward, then it's apparent that some forms of toning on some coins will boost value a bit more than pieces with no toning. That's the marketplace--the marketplace made up of a variety of people with all their individual preferences.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no simple answer to your question as there are many variables to determine toning value. Here is a good website to learn about Morgan toners: http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp
Edited by Slider23
12/07/2022 1:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
proceed with caution.

toned coins can sell for many times the book price, after all they are stunning and beautiful. artificial toning is frequently used to cover cleaning or scratches on coins or to "enhance" the value. its really easy to get burned on toning if you dont know what to look for. toning also presents a storage issue. if your storage environment isn't stable you can end up with toned coins that change color. over a long enough time frame the chemical reactions on the surfaces of all those colorful toned coins turn to an unattractive dull black.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2619 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get the impression from your posts that you're looking for ways to make a fast buck, and want others to tell you how. If that's your goal, it's going to take a lot of knowledge, experience, time and luck. In this case, someone could be bidding on a coin for the toning while someone else is bidding on it for a little-known variety, and you'll never know what drove up the price. There's no magic formula.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way to put a value on toning . If your buying one it all depends on how much you love it to tell how much you'll pay for it .
If your selling a toner you can virtually put any price on it. There are no set prices in this area of the hobby . Just to advise I am talking about natural toning , not artificial toning .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I thought, it's subjective. These are things I think about when I see items selling at a premium, and I look to make wise investments. In terms of buying coins, I look for those that have character and that catch my eye. I am not looking to follow a trend or what others like, but I do like to educate myself so that I will know the value of a coin before I purchase it. Thank you for your great responses on here!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do an eBay search on "monster rainbow toning". Ugly monstrosities. That "toning" was inflicted on these coins.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Example of monster toned coins on e-Bay :

Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen monster toned, absolutely offensive and artificial imo. What about this coin, why the color, it's it because it was cleaned and subject to water or other contaminate?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye appeal counts for a lot. That '86 Morgan would be in my junk silver stack.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10624 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Want to see some very cool toning? Suggest checking this topic here on the forum, nearly 300 pages and growing...
http://goccf.com/t/53247
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jjn1944 great share!
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is toning an indicator of whether a coin is real? While I enjoy buying coins from eBay because of the variety, I have anxiety when I order expensive coins, despite eBay's satisfaction guarantee.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20592 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some love nice toning, some don't care for it.

That makes any value ascribed to toning, either up or down, very subjective to personal opinion.

The seller won't have much control over any influence that toning may have, for ascribing extra value to a coin.

The buyer is in control.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I see 'monster toned' coins I am always suspicious. My immediate thought is 'artificial'.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75062 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you buy raw coins on eBay, be sure you have full return privileges. But return privileges aren't worth much if you don't really know how to evaluate the coin when it arrives.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 854Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: