Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Type Sets do you find interesting?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  05:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sprucansailor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My main interests right now are my US Phillipines Admin Date/MM set, DANSCO 7070 US Type set album, and 3 Whitman US 20th century Type Set albums (For the young'uns).

What other type sets do you find interesting and affordable?

I think the 4 coin type set for 3 cent pieces are interesting and will not cost your dirst born to complete.

Maybe a Standing leberty 3 coin type set?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many, many years ago there was this plastic sheet encasement for the 20th Century Type Set. Bought it and filled it and put it in a safe deposit box and haven't even looked at it since. Many people like type sets but for some reason I have no or little interest in them.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had an interest in putting together several type sets for many years. The only one that I'm even close on would be the 1 cent coins, but I don't see myself completing that any time soon due to the expense of the pre 1800 ones.
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

ANA Member since 2007.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 14ers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have enjoyed putting together a couple of the Whitman 20th Century Type sets But what I would like to see is a similar 19th Century Type set. Something covering the obsoletes but not getting into details with varieties.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would like to put together a set of Standing Liberty quarters.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally would like to put together a set of Standing Liberty quarters.

That would actually be a set or collection of just one type of coin. Almost all Album and Folder manufacturers make them for that coin alone. A type set of Quarters alone would be interesting though just not enough to make a real type set of them.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swiego to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three U.S. Type sets. The first I finished as a kid with lawn mowing money in a push-in folder album with barely recognizable coins, many with holes or corrosion, but I love it. The second I finished during grad school and is mostly G to VG coins in the older dates, but nice looking examples, in a Whitman album. The third is in a Dansco 7070 and is half complete, focusing on XF coins on up, or as close as I can afford.

I like having all three and the progression they represent...

I have some other sets... A culion leper colony set, philippines (U.S. Admin as well as Spanish decimal), and an India (Republic, 1950+) type collection.
Edited by swiego
11/15/2010 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3654 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make a buffalo set: one type of every American coin that has a buffalo on it. All in the best condition.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to collect only Morgans and collected almost a whole set of MS-64 Date and MM set but got really bored with it. I then started a Dansco 7070 type set and that lit the collecting fire again that I had lost looking at the whole collection that looks alike. I even tried selling off some of the MS-64 coins and making the whole set with nothing lower than a MS-66 but still that fizzled out rather quickly also. I do still collect Morgans but mostly its by VAM now instead of just trying to finish up the date/mm set I have going in MS-66 or above grades but maybe some day I will work on it again. I think any type set no matter if its Lincoln cents or 20.00 Gold pieces could get boring to the collector after you see so many of them and that is why I suggest a 20th century type set or something like that where every coin in the set looks different
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just started the Dansco 7070 type set, I have most of the coins for it already just missing those few early 1800s coins. Does anyone know a set that has the commerative gold ($5,$10 and AGE as well)
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercapri302 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Longacre type set(either non-gold, or fully inclusive) would be fun, and relatively cheap (as gold goes.)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2010  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest sort of type sets are those of the same type of coin but continous from one type to another. By that I made an Album of Cents from Flying Eagle, Indian Head, Lincoln Cents all in one Album. All proofs and errors are not included. Another one is Liberty Seated, Liberty Head, Mercury Head, Roosevelt dimes all in one Album. Again, no proofs, no errors, and in some instances, no repetitious dates such as 1982's where there are so many. A Nickel one of Shield type to present also. Mostly all must be made from blank pages of that denomination. Nice to break the monotony of just one thing.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05