Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Doubled Dies Of The World

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 366 / Views: 60,280Next Topic
Page: of 25
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  2:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I venture into the darkside, I would love to start collecting doubled dies of the world. I think that would be an awesome set!

The Nepal DDO that biokemist posted recently really inspired me. Bio, please repost it here!

Anyway, I've done a search for a list and everything I've come up with seems to lead to dead links. Anyone know where I can get a starter checklist from?

In the meantime, let me see what you have in your collection as far as doubled dies! Give me some ideas of coins to pursue!

I only have one darkside DDO so far and I want more! This one just happened to be part of a world lot I bought and is a 1953 Yugoslavia 50 Para.

If you have any that you would like to part with, find me in the want to buy forum!

I guess I should mention, just because it's not a darksider to you, doesn't mean it isn't for the rest of us!

Edited by Scooby Due
01/19/2011 4:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun topic to get started!
My favorite DSDD is probably this 1869 Uruguay 4 Centisimos. It's also the earliest known trails die.

Edited by DVCollector
01/19/2011 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice DVC!

I seen an old thread that had a 2000 10 Centavos from Brazil that was a real beauty! I want one!
I'm sure it's not new to a lot of you, but it's stunning the first time you see it!
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I remember that one--is there a general who appears to be "waving" his sword, due to the doubling? Cool!

Here's another interesting one I found randomly in a pile. Coppercoins confirmed this as a "Very strong class 6, distended hub doubled die". Also, notice the 3 in 1943 doesn't appear as distorted? This may have been punched after the die was hubbed.

Compare to a normal 43-I reverse:
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scooby, where is your coin from? I seem to remember seeing those split star points before--nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I edited my original post when I realized I didn't put that in there!

It is a 1953 Yugoslavia 50 Para.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stole this pic from the old thread I was referring to. I hope it is ok, since it was an upload to CCF already. It was from 2008 and posted by russellhome.

It's a beauty! I have got to get me one of these!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's dramatic!
Now, I'm a total novice at doubling, in fact I wasn't aware of things like that happening till I joined the forum.
My question is how can this happen that only part of the image is doubled while the rest seems to be fine?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question Slav. Isn't that a beauty though?

Hopefully, bio will be along shortly (or anyone else that can answer that question).
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's such a great doubled die!

Quote:
My question is how can this happen that only part of the image is doubled while the rest seems to be fine?

Regarding the Brasil coin? If you look closely towards the center, you'll spot the doubling in the eye, hand, and lips. In this case, I think the spread of the doubling increases towards the rim as a function of the rotation--what's the real term for that?

I recall that many dies are only partially hubbed the first impression, where double-hubbing may show up only in the center, or on along the rim. That may be the case for this 1956 Aussie penny, which should a doubling only around the outer legends. An Aussie collector thought this was due to hubbing a conical die blank.

Edited by DVCollector
01/19/2011 9:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2011  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just added this one to the collection :

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2011  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I unveiled this one in another thread a few days ago but it appears that I am being called out for an encore It is a 1968 10 Rupee from Nepal KM# 794. This one has a funny story, I purchased it a couple years ago as an educational example of die lathe lines as seen on the reverse. I owned it for a few months before I took these photos and that is when I realized it had a huge DDO

Quote:
how can this happen that only part of the image is doubled while the rest seems to be fine?

Keep in mind that there are nice classes of hub doubling and each one has different characteristics. The coin I have posted is a Class 4 Doubled Die- Offset Hub Doubling. Other examples of Class 4 would be the 1984 and 1997 Lincoln Cents with doubled ears.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2011  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that coin!

That's the one that started this whole mess! Now I'm on a mission!
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2011  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
anyone come up with that started checklist? After viewing this thread, it peaked my interest as well.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2011  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While you're looking for doubled-dies, you could also check for repunched dates.
Some are fairly common, and will add variety to your search.

For example, check out 1 and 5 centavos from Colombia fromthe 50s-70s, where wild repunchings were commonplace. This one is a very entertaining piece because not only were the digits repunched, but because they used several different punch styles! Here's a breakdown of the photo below:

The 1 digit was punched with a large, sans-serif numeral over a shorter, serif numeral--check out the flare on the base of the underlying 1!

The 9 digit was punched at least 3 times! There's evidence of a digit east, then an underlying 9 with a flatter bottom stroke was finished with a 9 where the stroke curls upward. At least 2 digit styles again.

On the 7, there's a straight downstroke underneath a more curved 7 digit. Any ideas why the coin field is depressed around this digit?

The 0 is a bit lower, but at least it's completely on the die!
I've seen a few coins where several digits run off the edge.
There are traces of a second 0 NW of the top digit.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2011  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice DVC. I have come across a few of these already, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Been thinking about it. Most have not been that solid. They have been minor repunches.

Quote:
Any ideas why the coin field is depressed around this digit?

No, why?
Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 366 / Views: 60,280Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05