Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1875-S Trade Dollar For Grading, Very Old Toning.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,381Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
paralyse's Avatar
United States
12057 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2016  6:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
This coin is somewhat of an enigma as well. 1875-S Trade dollar. It has the die diagnostics of authenticity, as far as ribbon end, leaf, and arrow positions, so I'm not worried there. The obverse is heavily toned, much like I see on old Morgans, and the reverse is toned to a lesser extent. What gets me is the die cracks on the reverse -- they are plentiful and very noticeable, especially around the legend. I don't see anything too incredibly major, possibly an old cleaning many years ago, but nothing surprising except those die cracks. Much like the Half Cent I just posted, I'll send this one back if it ends up being a real stinker.

Thoughts on this coin and its grade welcomed.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Zurie's Avatar
United States
5720 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  02:25 am  Show Profile   Check Zurie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. Perhaps an old cleaning, but nicely retoned. I'd say AU-53, problem-free, and interesting die cracks. Hopefully it's authentic.
Pillar of the Community
TypeCoin971793's Avatar
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is odd, but not unreasonable. I can't see the luster, but this coin is in the AU range.
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37154 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50, I like the die breaks on the reverse, looks like that die was just about worn out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
panzaldi's Avatar
United States
18924 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50. it does have the look of being cleaned at one time. since its not slabbed you taking a bit of a risk regarding that as I'm not sure if it would grade straight
Bedrock of the Community
paralyse's Avatar
United States
12057 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't plan on slabbing it, really. I have a raw 1878-S in higher grade but it was whizzed and the hairlines are very noticeable to the point of being a major distraction, so to me, this one has better eye appeal. I've got a slabbed AU58 as well (1877-S, IIRC)

The cracks might lead to an S/CC, now that would be a treat...
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
muddler's Avatar
United States
7311 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an 1875 S/cc the die cracks on the reverse are extensive and different from your coin.
Pillar of the Community
Slider23's Avatar
United States
4507 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details Cleaned

It has the look of a coin that has been cleaned and retoned. It appears to be genuine. If you do decide to have it graded, please post results. I have been looking for a AU nicely toned with color Trade dollar with a straight grade, and they are hard to find.
Bedrock of the Community
paralyse's Avatar
United States
12057 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now THAT's good info, Muddler -- thank you :) & Slider, I definitely agree w/hard to find. I looked for 6+ months to find my slabbed AU example for my type set, there is a lot of overgraded, overpriced, or just plain ugly coins out there, and the only "Fresh" material seems to be coming from China. I do have a raw AU with some iridescent toning but it's got hairlines from a past cleaning (the reason I got this coin was to upgrade that one.)

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 cleaned, but better-looing than many.
Bedrock of the Community
Joseph7420's Avatar
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50, probably Details.
Bedrock of the Community
paralyse's Avatar
United States
12057 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My '77-S & '78-S for comparison. The '77S is PCGS AU58 with toning, the 78-S is raw AU details ex-NGC, cleaned but not too ugly, and has some iridescent obverse and reverse toning that's hard to get on film, but the last pic shows it, some blue and reddish-gold.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.

1875-S-Trade-Dollar-For-Grading,-Very-Old-Toning.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,381Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums