Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Used Book Smell

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Last week I was given this used coin book.
It is in very good condition .. but the last
owner must have been a smoker.

When I open the book it has a strong smell of
cigarette smoke.

Anyone have a idea on how to lessen or get rid of the smell.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone have a idea on how to lessen or get rid of the smell.

Send it to me.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nearly impossible to prematurely get smoke smell out of any kind of book. The best thing you can do is seal it up air tight in a box with baking soda for about a month.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's just the dust jacket that stinks, then baking soda would work, but it will take a while.

If every page is stinky, I'd try using activated charcoal from the health food/vitamin store. You'll need a safe place like an under-the-bed storage box. You can break the capsules and empty the contents onto little dishes or shot glasses or dixie cups -- whatever you have. Change the charcoal often and turn the pages often as well. It will take about a week. If you're not home during the day to fuss with it, then it will take longer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Send it to me.....

I would consider that .. but I really want to read it

keepcalmandcoinon and buddy

both sound good .. I will try one .. or both and hope it helps
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2014  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellikae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cat litter will help. Can you put it in a box with litter around it? It will absorb the odor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2014  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
7021 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2014  05:03 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice article allranger! I will have to try that myself. Never would have thought of the crate to raise the books up and get maximum coverage.

I have had some decent success with plain old sunlight outside for musty books, gotta watch the wind and weather carefully though, and birds or other critters from getting to the books. Don't think the sun would get enough smoke smell out though, I'd go for following the above link allranger has provided.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2014  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johntookit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zep commercial Smoke Oder Eliminator at Lowe's for under $5 a can.
This product will help mask the smell.

Send the book to me and I will run it with Ozone Deodorizer for few hours and it will get rid of all smell.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for the replies ...

I decided to try the "Gonzo odor eliminator"

I hope it works

Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking it would work better standing up. Are the pages really thin or the spine worn?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was putting the lid on ... I thought the same thing ...

It is standing up now, with a few coin tubes separating section of pages.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck. I hope it works.
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny Guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GR58: Just thought I'd pass along some info on your book gift. That book, long out of print, can bring hard to come by. With a issue price of $100, many times they sell for multiples of that price.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
GR58: Just thought I'd pass along some info on your book gift. That book, long out of print, can bring hard to come by. With a issue price of $100, many times they sell for multiples of that price.

Yes I know it is a book a lot of collectors like to have.

I almost bought it, I think early 90's, about the time Walter got arrested. That made me not want it then.

A few years ago I had a chance to pick a used one up at a local coin shop. When I went back to buy it .. it was gone.

I hope this process works on the smoke odor .. there really is some good information in the book.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7021 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2014  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep it's a good book, probably the best book that trys to include every coin in the US series, varieties and all. I picked up my copy while they were still new for $75.00, and have bought and sold a number of them up to $250.00 in the past. Hope you can get that book back to smelling right. Let us know how the chemistry experiment works. I have a few books I need to work on, not so much cigarette smell, but the musty odor from long term damp storage.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05