Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 2004 Lewis & Clark Coinage & Currency Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 4,507Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Those who have patrolled the US Commemoratives section of CCF know that I enjoy collecting original promotional/distribution items associated with the classic series of coins as well as the special packaging options that are sometimes available with the modern issues. I have most of the modern variations at this point, but do lack a few.

I encountered one of the "holes" in my modern collection this past weekend at the annual South Carolina Numismatic Association (SCNA) show - the very attractive and impressive "Lewis and Clark Coinage and Currency Set." A dealer had a pair of nice examples offered at a very attractive price point. After a minute or two of inspection, my preferred choice was purchased and stashed in my briefcase for safekeeping.

The set features four coins, three stamps, a silver-plated bronze medal and a specimen print from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP). It was issued as one of the two special packaging options by the US Mint within its 2004 silver dollar program marking the bicentennial of the explorations of Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. (The other was the "Coin and Pouch Set" which featured a hand-crafted leather pouch made and signed by a Native American artisan.) The "Coinage and Currency" set sold for $90 at the time of its issue; its production was limited to 50,000 sets.

President Thomas Jefferson commissioned Captains Lewis and Clark to lead an expedition into the newly acquired territory of Louisiana - gained from France via the "Louisiana Purchase" - to explore the uncharted West and to search for a potential water route across North America; their journey began in May 1804 and concluded in September 1806.

The obverse of the attractive silver dollar depicts the explorers standing together beside a stream; Lewis is seen pointing into the distance and Clark is depicted holding his rifle. A forest is seen in the background. On the reverse is seen a pair of feathers meant to represent the Native Americans encountered during their journey along with the reverse design of the "Indian Peace Medal" used during Thomas Jefferson's administration. The original silver medals were given to Native American chiefs and other important representatives by those representing the US Government as a token of friendship and peace.

To supplement the dollar coin, a silver-plated version of the small bronze Thomas Jefferson medal from the US Mint's "Presidents Series" is included, as are a 2004 uncirculated Sacagawea dollar (she was the Shoshone woman that accompanied Lewis and Clark on their expedition) and an example of each of the two 2004 circulating commemorative five-cent pieces - the "Peace Medal" and "Keelboat" designs.

Also included are the three stamps the USPS issued to commemorate the expedition and a specimen of the front design of the Series 1901 $10 United States Notes (the "Bison" note.) The specimen note was printed from a specially-created plate prepared from the original master die used for the famous note.

The set also includes a well-written and nicely illustrated booklet about the expedition which features reproductions of pertinent documents from the National Archives.

All in all, the set is a wonderful way to collect the 2004 Lewis and Clark Bicentennial silver dollar and to recall their momentous journey through the American West.

Here are a few images of the set. Note: The images presented are much smaller than the actual size of the set's folder. Each of its panels measures 9-1/2" wide by 5 inches tall.

2004 Lewis and Clark "Coinage and Currency Set" - Front Panel

2004 Lewis and Clark "Coinage and Currency Set" - Stamp Panel

2004 Lewis and Clark "Coinage and Currency Set" - Coin Obverse Panel

2004 Lewis and Clark "Coinage and Currency Set" - Coin Reverse Panel

2004 Lewis and Clark "Coinage and Currency Set" - Specimen Note Panel

Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/27/2014 4:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely set commems .. appreciate as always the history and explanation behind the coins(s) that you so capably provide.

I must humbly admit to be being encouraged to learn that your 'greatest of all sets' actually had a missing element ... gives me some hope that my set might someday aspire to something.

I remain #1 in line for the signed book.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very nice!

Of course, I am very pleased that more than one CCF member had success finding something at the SCNA show this weekend!

Quote:
I remain #1 in line for the signed book.
I am right behind you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall there was a hubbub involving the Coin & Pouch sets a few years after the release. Some of the pouches were made by a tribe not recognized by the federal government. The Mint offered refunds, either partial or for the whole set.

I'll get in line for a copy for an autographed copy of your book Commems...better start saving for the airfare so I'll have enough
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPiggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice write up as usual.

With the completion of the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial this month that was funded by the surcharges of the 2010 commemorative, I was wondering what the surcharges of this 2004 coin went to. The Mint website says "two-thirds to the National Council of the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial and one-third to the National Park Service to fund the bicentennial commemoration activities".

That's a kinda general description and was wondering if anyone can tell me any specifics that the surcharges went to. Was looking at National Council of Lewis and Clark etc for more information but didn't find too much. Wasn't the Ken Burns Lewis and Clark documentary funded somehow by the surcharges?

I don't know, but when I see meaningful results from surcharges like 2010 offering, it makes the coins more meaningful to me.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can try to provide some additional information...

First, the US Mint web site page that you referred to displays out-dated information. As the National Park Service did not have the processes in place to raise the needed matching funds to be eligible to collect the surcharges from the coin sales, the law authorizing the coins was amended to provide 50% of the surcharges to the National Council of the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial and 50% to the Missouri Historical Society. Any funds given to these organizations and not used by June 20, 2007 were to be transferred to the Lewis and Clark Heritage Foundation for the purpose of supporting the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail.

Sales of the coins resulted in the collection $4.94 million in surcharges for the two primary beneficiaries. About $1.75 million was used to repay loans incurred by the National Council to supports its mission of coordinating national L&C bicentennial events, promoting educational programs about the expedition and sustaining stewardship of the natural and historical resources along the route of the expedition.

$1.6 million was used to set up an endowment trust called Native Voices Endowment: A Lewis & Clark Expedition Bicentennial Legacy. The trust makes grants for tribal language education programs along the Lewis and Clark Trail.

Another $1.6 million was used for a second trust called The Lewis & Clark Trail Stewardship Endowment: A National Council of the Lewis & Clark Expedition Bicentennial Legacy Project. The trust made good on the "Trail" stipulation included in the amended bill for the coins.

So, all in all, a good bit of money was raised by coin sales to not only support the L&C bicentennial events, but also to create an ongoing legacy of financial support for natural and cultural resources connected to the L&C expedition.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPiggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your response gave insight and references so I can continue learning about this coin. I enjoy how you sometimes discuss the different packaging and associated nuances of commemorative coins like you did here. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 4,507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05