Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Royal Canadian Mint "Colour Technology" Test Tokens

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  12:53 pm Show Profile   Check Coinsplus's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Coinsplus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow collectors,

I don't believe these Royal Canadian Mint "Colour Technology" Test Tokens have ever been seen. I managed to obtain this set from the 2015 Currency Conference that was held in Vancouver in May 2015.

http://www.currencyconference.com/

This conference was for delegates of central banks to see and share innovative coin and polymer note ideas and technologies. All the major suppliers such as various mints and currency manufacturers were on hand to gain contracts from the various government buyers on-hand.

Here are some photos of the coloured technology RCM Test Tokens, given to government delegates that spoke to senior RCM sales representatives.

The tokens feature a coloured Flag of Canada with the back drop of the mountains of Morraine Lake. One features a coloured fish in its habitat and the other token, a coloured poppy with poppies in the background (looks similar to the 2015 coloured 25 cent coins). They all feature ABCDEF, 1234. A nice test set. The flag and poppy tokens are the same size as 25 cent coin. The middle token is a bit larger.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Coinsplus
10/24/2015 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely all keepers and I would like to hear more about these "rare" pieces..and display..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea on how many of these tokens were produced
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1989 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Northerncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bad, PM if you want to sell them
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6128 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would interested in knowing what new printing technique was used.
Looks like it is the same as was used on the new Flag and Poppy quarters.
If you wait, all that happens is you get older.
Learn More...
Canada
8251 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.... those are cool. I have never seen those before...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those look so new for being made 781 years ago...! Wow
Valued Member
Canada
247 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shoeplier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those look so new for being made 781 years ago...! Wow

I never knew we borrowed the flag from the former country "Abcdefg"!

I would also be interested in mintage numbers, if possible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2115 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!
I would love to get a hold of those!
Congratulations Coinsplus!
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Coinsplus's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinsplus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the compliments.

At this conference, they had the RCM big wigs at the Mint's booth. Sandra Hannington, President and CEO; Carman Joynt, Chair of Board; Susan Dujmovic, Vice Chair of the Board, and other senior representatives, such as the VP Operations, VP Sales, were all present.

I spoke to one of the RCM sales managers, and he informed me that they produced 250 sets of these RCM coloured tokens with folder.

Here are the specifications of the tokens (unofficial):

Canada Flag token, Poppy token, ABCDEFG 1234
Multiply nickel plated steel, magnetic.
Diameter: 24 mm
Thickness: 2.0 mm
Edge: reeded
Weight: approximately 6 grams
Die axis: arrows up

Fish token, ABCDEFG 1234
Multiply nickel plated steel, magnetic.
Diameter: 27 mm
Thickness: 1.9 mm
Edge: reeded
Weight: approximately 7 grams
Die axis: arrows up
Edited by Coinsplus
10/24/2015 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1498 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think test tokens are very interesting.......

Picked one up yesterday at the Torex Auction yesterday (a fairly scarce 1.5).

I also have a test token that is not catalogued....I think the mint does not inform the community of what they have produced in any organized way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was the conference open to the public.
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prefix-kix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We already got a coin with a Canadian flag back in July. Soon we'll have a coin with a poppy similar to this test token.

I want a fish coin!
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Coinsplus's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinsplus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100: the conference was for governments and currency industry participants. Registration was around $2,000, and you had to be approved to attend.

Here's some photos of the exhibits and conference.
http://www.currencyconference.com/2...sor-exhibits
http://www.currencyconference.com/2...ral-sessions

Pillar of the Community
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice thanks for sharing. Now I need to find a set for myself lol.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are some of the best test token samples available, again nice for sharing.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05