Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Has Happened To The 2016 Commemorative Gold Dimes, SLQ's And Lwh's?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2017  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Are the gold SLQ and gold LWH commemorative coins bombing as bad as we may have feared. It seems the gold Mercury dime is the most successful of the three. Maybe due to price? I think making the gold coins smaller than originals was a mistake.
Learn More...
United States
80814 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mistake, perhaps, but logistically and legally it was what they had to do.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4191 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the gold SLQ and gold LWH commemorative coins bombing as bad as we may have feared.

They are only "bombing" if one purchased them with visions of large instant profits running through his/her head. And if that was the buyer's motivation, he/she was not a collector of the coins, just a speculator in them.

They remain as attractive as the day they were each issued, and will continue to remain so until the day they are melted or otherwise destroyed.

I didn't buy any of them, but I support what the Mint created and appreciate them for what they are - attractive numismatic collectibles made for collectors. Their future value will now depend on how many collectors want examples of them in their collection - the way it should be for all coins - vs. short-term market hype.

Learn More...
United States
80814 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have been interested if gold were a bit more affordable. I was really interested in the gold 2014 Kennedy, but the price was way out of my comfort zone.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2918 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have been interested if gold were a bit more affordable. I was really interested in the gold 2014 Kennedy, but the price was way out of my comfort zone.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16309 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they would have minted only a few hundred of them, then they would have been an instant investment hit, and would perform reasonably in the numismatic aftermarket as well.

Too many = a marketing mistake.

That is a pity. I think this sort of issue deserves better.
Learn More...
United States
80814 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That goes back to the collector versus speculator issue. A collector should not care what the mintage number is. You either like it (and can afford it) or you do not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a little bit of "speculator" inside every collector
I buy quite a lot of "collector" coins knowing full well that it is highly doubtful that if I was to sell these coins I would get my money back let alone make a profit on them.
Every now and then though there is the rare occasion that one of my purchases actually does increase in value and that always gives be a bit of a "Buzz"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trout

I agree with you. I like to try and buy coins I think may be "sleepers" even though they probably are not since like most things for sale on the internet or that make a market all the information is known. There is some reason why this or that coin sells for a certain price. I also agree with Buck and if I were younger and had a lot of extra money there are many coins I would buy just because I like them. I have come to realization that I won't get my money back on my coins much less make a profit. Now if I had a grandfather who left me an intact set of mint condition Morgans I think that it would be a more just world. I deserve it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2912 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a decision process when thinking about adding a coin or W/E to my collection. That process is to be assured that the coin will not let me down, will do what I had hoped for as far as holding its value, to be an addition in My collection. I do not think this is an unreasonable thought, I think the entire collection topic has many deciding factors to conclude if the coin is or is not being added to My collection, I need to feel the draw towards to design and or the make up of the coin, or availability, demand, does it fit into My collection etc, also price........... The collection topic demands considerable thought, education and $$$$$$$. I collect to advance My desired goals towards making My hobby more interesting and vastly unique.

Many different topics are deciding factors for adding any coin, bill or piece to anyone's collection. Collect for what ever drives you to gather coins and bills!! Just My thoughts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like all three coins, but for me they were not in my price comfort level.

Once a coins price gets above $50, I start thinking about if it is worth the price and if it will hold its value. If I feel the coin will increase in value or
maintain the price I buy it at, than it could be a $1000 coin and if I like it
I would feel comfortable buying it.

For the topic coins I think there is a good chance they can be bought in the
future for much less than issue price. Of course I could be wrong.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5972 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a collector I saw them and I bought them. I'm happy to have them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy to have all 3 as well, they are beautiful coins.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vergasond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased all three as well, they are beautiful coins and I don't see them devaluing in the future. Of course we all wish our coins to gain in popularity and price, only time will tell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought these three gold coins and they are the only ones I have in gold. The price of gold is just too high for me. In a couple of years it could be $2000 an ounce or $800 an ounce. Since the gold value makes up most of the value of common gold coins it is just too much to spend when I can get scarce coins in silver for less that have numismatic value way beyond their bullion value. We have to remember that gold has no intrinsic value apart what people are willing to spend. Imagine is some new gold strike was made in Siberia. Gold prices might decline by half just due to supply. Indian women might stop using gold as a sign of their wealth and then where would the price go? More than half a billion Hindus wear gold as a sign of their cast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5048 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone have the final mintage numbers for each piece.

And if anyone has a the original issue price it would also help if someone wanted to track current eBay sale prices vs issue price vs mintage all in thread.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05