Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Came Into Possesion Of These Dollar Busts Etc. I Suspect A Fake Collection

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Slovenia
2 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  05:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add locomoto1299 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wonder if it is worth anything, did some research and I think a few of them might be worth something. Please check them out.

Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, nothing real in the lot. All are modern fakes.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  05:13 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those with the Mercury dime obverse, and say One Ounce on the reverse might need weighting and a more detailed investigation.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30351 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Look fake to me also but I am no pro. The first way to check them is with a magnet. If they stick they are fake,if they do not stick the next step is the design being wrong.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Slovenia
2 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add locomoto1299 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys, thank you for all your quick responses. I've tried the thing with the magnet, it sticks to all of them. Also, the one that says 1 ounce weighs 17 grams.

What should I do with them? Would anyone on eBay want to buy them when I sell them as fakes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think that since they are trying to look like authentic coins [sort of], in order to legally sell them you would need to mark them as "copy". But there are plenty of fake coins that are sold as fake coins that sell on eBay without such marking. For what that's worth.

- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other ¢5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one ounce coin weighs 17 grams?!
1 Troy ounce = 31.1 grams!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pictures are too small for me to read the text -- is the "17 grams" one we're talking about the one that says "100 cents" along the bottom? The text in the center (1 - G, 16.1 - S, 1.9 - C) reminds me of the writing on the $4 stella, where G/S/C would refer to gold, silver and copper, but if they all stick to a magnet, that wouldn't be the true composition -- they're all reproductions.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The GOLOID dollar was a pattern coin. The U.S. government rejected the three metal coin because fear of counterfeits.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They all appear to me to be counterfeits, especially since they fail the magnet test.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Locomotor to the forum!

There are many who buy fakes, not just to collect them but it helps to have a fake/reproduction, actual counterfeit in hand when identifying others as to their real status or not. It is "legal" to sell coins as this AS LONG AS they are identified as being reproduction/fakes. So yes, on eBay these can Ber sold. When I buy such, I Dremel the word "COPY" on the reverse side so my nimwit relatives don't try and sell them as real when I'm gone!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loco!

I would also try in some way to make them as copies.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Little value no matter what you do with them. Personally, as long as they don't contain lead or zinc, I'd use them as lake skippers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
destroy them, these are terrible fakes, don't let others think they have something valuable
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern day's dreamer's fakes!if I were you I would start my numismatic hobby and collecting with a real deal, genuine coins and just put these away out of circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2017  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
e U.S. government rejected the three metal coin because fear of counterfeits.

True because contrary to the alloy inventors claims the finished coins always looked like plain silver. A counterfeiter could leave out the gold and it would be very difficult to tell.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05