Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beyond The 7070 ... What Issues Would You Add ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  6:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've yet to complete the 7070 type set, but have decided to go with an Eagle binder and 20 or 30 pocket pages for my type set, as I have done with my Mercury dimes.

Aside from the very earliest coppers ... which would probably take an act of God for me to acquire some of those...

I can envision the large cents being further split where the matron heads are concerned, having a place for Robert Scot's frumpy Miss Liberty, the modified matron (coronet), the issues of 1839, ugly as they are, and 2 braided hair types, the Petite Head of 1840, and the L
later "normal" sized Braided Hair LC.

That's a lot of additions right there....without going farther back in history to include the earliest coppers.

I'm going to add a 3rd Standing Liberty quarter, the recessed date type 1925-30. That makes it necessary that the type 2 be an early one, but my 1920-S already fits that bill,

What issues would you add?

Chance
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote nothing. It is already going to be hopelessly out of reach for me to complete mine anytime this century. So I wouldn't want to make it more difficult than it is. I guess my only gripe is split the clad Kennedy half into 2 holes; one for silver clad and one for CuNi clad. Right now it just has a single hole labelled Clad 1965-date. And I'm using the newest edition.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just remembered there's a type 1 and type 2 silver 3 cent piece...

In Kennedy half dollars ... if you wanted to include NIFCs, you'd need silver clad and cupro clad Bicentennials too.

Chance
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, there are three types of silver 3 cents.

The gold page would be my suggestion.
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chance: For a more complete 7070 check out my post below.

Gary
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large Capped Bust quarter
Seated dime no stars or letters
1873 Seated coins with arrows

Just a few ..off the top of my head
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with GR58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking that my post regarding the Seated dimes ... should have said type 5 rather than type 4, but I was thinking of the 7070 when I posted that.

I'll take a look at your expanded 7070 a bit later. Thanks. I'm taking what I can out of the Dansco, and putting some stuff (that's not in the album) that I'll need to get rid of into holders... then I'll have to list the stuff. I enjoy it though, so it won't seem like distasteful work at least. The reward is getting a really nice 10 dollar Indian ... so it will be worth the effort. I offered MS60 money for it, and its at least a 63. I just need to rearrange some assets. It might be time to take my licks on the 1880 Shield nickel. It would never slab via PCGS because they only recognize one die pairing for business strikes... so I'll take a butt whoopin' on it, but it will be easier to swallow if the Indian is of high enough grade, and I really think it is.

Chance

Chance
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1837 half dime and dime are probably my favorites of the small seateds. The design looks great w/o the stars or legends ... and before Miss Liberty started taking steroids.

Chance
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16150 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You want real expansion consider the old Whitman US type coins album.

5 Half Cents cap left, cap right, draped, classic, and braided
7 large cents chain, wreath, cap, draped, classic, matron, braided
7 small cents FE, 1859, 60-64, bronze indian, Wheat cent, steel cent, memorial (album is before the zinc)
two cent
4 Three Cent silver types 1,2,3, coppernickel
9 half dimes flowing hair small eagle, draped small eagle, draped large eagle, capped, seated no stars, with stars, arrows at date, no arrows reduced weight, legend obv
8 nickels shield with and without rays, V with and without cents, buffalo type 1 and 2, Jefferson, War Nickel
14 dimes flowing hair small eagle, draped large eagle, capped, seated no stars, with stars, arrows at date, no arrows reduced weight, legend obv, arrows at date, no arrows increased weight, Barber, Mercury, Roosevelt silver, Roosevelt clad
16 quarters draped small eagle, draped large eagle, capped, seated, arrows and rays, arrows no rays, no arrows reduced weight, with motto, arrows at date increased weight, no arrows increased weight, Barber, Standing type 1, 2, and 3, Washington silver and clad (album predated bicentennial, 40% bicentennial)
18 half dollars flowing small eagle, draped small eagle, draped large eagle, capped lettered edge, capped reeded edge, seated, arrows and rays, arrows no rays, no arrows reduced weight, with motto, arrows at date increased weight, no arrows increased weight, Barber, Walking Liberty, Franklin, Kennedy silver, 40%, clad (album predated bicentennial, 40% bicentennial)
8 dollars Flowing small eagle, Draped small eagle, draped large eagle, seated no motto, with motto, trade, Morgan, Peace (album predated Ike, 40% Ike, bicentennial, 40% bicentennial, SBA, Sac dollar)

That's 106 coins and doesn't include 1 recent cent, 2 recent quarters, 2 recent halves and 6 recent dollars. Nor does it include the State Quarters clad and 90%, ATB Quarters clad and 90%, NA dollars, or President dollars. That's another 244 coins. So a full type set is about 350 coins right now.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5986 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some items to add would be:

America the Beautiful 5 oz coin
Enhanced Silver eagle
reverse proof silver eagle
I would change the 1964 to be a 90% silver

More extreme, gold

Commemorative $5 gold
Commemorative $10 gold
A first spouse coin
American eagle $5, $10, $25, $50
Gold Buffalo's, Platinum, now Palladium the list is never ending.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1402 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the classic silver commemoratives is a fun challenge. The no stars Seated dime, drapped bust quarter, half and dollar
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2924 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the idea of adding the assorted subtypes of Matron Head (including, yes, the Silly Head and Booby Head). And the Petite Head of 1839-43 is my favorite US Large Cent subtype.

Definitely add the 1853 quarter and half (with rays). I'm not quite sure why they aren't in the 7070 already; it is a very obvious type.
Same for the No Stars series (not sure which denominations have them).

The 40% Kennedy is an obvious addition; so is the silver Ike (either of them, really).
The modern coinage is way out of date; certainly you should include the new Jefferson nickel (post-2004) and the shield cent, as they are new definitive types, but the remaining modern issues are trickier (and including all the rolling commemoratives separately would make them occupy most of the set).

Oh, and if you're making your own set anyway, remove the 1909 VDB - that one shouldn't be its own variety.
(And, arguably, the ASE might not really belong in a type set either.)

[EDIT: fixed typo]
Edited by january1may
01/26/2018 12:54 am
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the no stars half dime and dime. Don't forget that 1838-O coins were also struck with no stars, the first year of the New Orleans mint.

Also, the 7070 should be completable by the average person, which likely rules out some coins like the draped bust small eagle half, the draped bust small eagle quarter, and other very expensive early coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  11:15 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to digitize my entire 7070 album and, in the process, added numerous issues that weren't in the original album:

http://barrygoldberg.net/7070_intro.htm

There are, I'm sure, a lot more variations I could add, but it will always be a work in progress.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
81195 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05