Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On Buying A Liberty Seated Dollar

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally disagree with Chester on this one. This is a nice coin graded by the top grading agency. You found exactly what you were looking for. 14 day return plus shipping.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
02/08/2018 11:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're allowed to disagree. Current bid is $314 plus $10 shipping for a common date SLD in VG-10 condition. That isn't a great deal and he has concerns already about the coin. There will be other coins in his price range that he'll love and want to grab right away. These coins aren't that uncommon that he can't wait.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a good deal to me. I'm not seeing too many problems with the price. If I was looking for a slabbed 1842 SLD, this would probably be the one I would end up getting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one will look great in hand. The circulated cameo is a plus. That's why it's ticking up to retail levels. Better quality sld's will always sell for solid prices. You get what you pay for with this series. Shopping around for bargains, will get you a bargain looking coin. Me thinks he did very well on his first selection.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I myself have gone back and looked at this one 50 times. I have to pass because of that rim ding at 2 o'clock. I know it will continue to bother me. I think it would look good, but I also know my eye would keep focusing there. I think I'd rather have less detail than a noticeable ding. Maybe it will go for $500and I won't feel that I missed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe it will go for $500and I won't feel that I missed.

That makes total sense. But what might blow your mind, is that if you can up your budget to $500 and stay vigilant, you can buy common date au-50's in the $500 range. With some common dates in this serious, the jump to higher grades is remarkably low.

Case in point: I picked it up this original 1870 awhile ago for a bit over $500.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2418 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the coin and the eye appeal. If the rim ding bothers you, I agree pass. These coins are not easy to find with nice eye appeal without a price premium.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I myself have gone back and looked at this one 50 times. I have to pass because of that rim ding at 2 o'clock. I know it will continue to bother me. I think it would look good, but I also know my eye would keep focusing there. I think I'd rather have less detail than a noticeable ding. Maybe it will go for $500and I won't feel that I missed.

It's already past the number I'd personally offer for it, anyway. Decent at the grade, but only VG10. For this issue as a Type, I'm holding out for a good VF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about the price, just look for eye appeal, even if it costs you a bit more than you want to spend.

You'll see the wisdom in that when it's time to sell. Lots of ugly coins out there, but only a few pretty ones.
Learn More...
United States
77500 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The circulated cameo is a plus. That's why it's ticking up to retail levels.
I do agree.

Quote:
if you can up your budget to $500 and stay vigilant, you can buy common date au-50's in the $500 range. With some common dates in this serious, the jump to higher grades is remarkably low.
You make a good point and it is something that I need to consider.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1345 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the mentions and kind words! I'm sorry I didnt see this post sooner. Mike F has an incredible Seated $ set; he is definitely the guy to go to!

I have available a nice PCGS XF40 1847 Seated dollar for sale. It is a little more more than your price range but it is a really solid example that I had for a while. Either way, I'd be glad to help you find one if Mike F cant assist
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05