Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Picking A New Series / Set To Start

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have all of the sets you had listed in some kind of assembly but the only complete one is the Franklin halves. It would be the easiest to finish and a hansom set as well. The walking liberty would become expensive in VF or better for the early dates and the 21's would be pocket busters.

Any way you go you can have fun adding to your collection.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you did the Walking Liberty common dates in VF and about 15 better or key dates in VG the series is affordable. The Walker in VG condition still has a lot of details and a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it would be Walkers. Both the OBV and REV, to me, are the most beautiful design made.

Expanding my completed sets by looking into varieties (I don't go for the "micro" ones) has also been something to breath new excitement into "finished" collections. When looking over my Franklins, I found out my 1954 was a Bugs Bunny variety and it got me into looking for others.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Walking Liberty series is what originally got me into collecting. Stunning coin, and as someone said, even in lower grades you will still have a solid looking set of coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18745 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not start collecting a large variety of coins. Purchase several Albums of various types of coins. This way almost anywhere you go or look on line, You may find a coin or coins for one of those Albums. I do this and that is why I have well over 100 Albums. And multiples of some of them. For example I have 10 Albums of Lincoln Cents, 12 of Mercury dimes, etc. This way when I go to a coin show I have a much better ability to find SOMETHING.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Walking Liberty series is what originally got me into collecting. Stunning coin, and as someone said, even in lower grades you will still have a solid looking set of coins.

Great looking coin. I'm not collecting them yet, but definitely a series I plan to start with once I make more progress with my Franklins and Peace dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
533 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcook54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a great suggestion but I'm going to start a Franklin halves with my 12 year old Daughter. It's easy, the coins look good and it will help me get back into the "hunt" after some time away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it's an older set... but a run of capped bust half dimes in VG/F is rather feasible :) it's only 9 years and there aren't any high value keys holding you back. In these grades, they are all valued similarly.
My hoard of '82s is up to 172! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 3, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 12, 1682 x 13, 1782 x 41, 1882 x 45, 1982 x 26
Edited by Collects82
03/12/2018 8:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2744 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would take the advice of just carl. You could work on 3 or 4 sets at a time at a slower pace. This will give you more time to savor these builds while learning about each series along the way. It will keep things interesting and fresh. Now, I'm not sure why you ruled out an Ike dollar set, but I would highly recommend doing this one, even if it is supplementary to the other 3 or 4. This will be the cheapest set to complete, and you'll enjoy acquiring all kinds of varieties and compositions- clad business, clad proof, silver business, silver proof, and all the other varieties in the bicentennial issues (T1 & T2 business and proof).

With the series' you listed, I would maybe look into doing a circulated Franklin set. I actually prefer these with circulated cameos. They look so ..... vintage. Right now I'm working to replace all the proofs in my Dansco with nice, circulated examples. Good luck in your endeavors.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
03/13/2018 09:34 am
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2030 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked Indian cents. When assembling a VF sets, make sure the Indians have a full LIBERTY, the Buffalos have a full outline of it's horn and WLHs have full breasts. Good luck and have fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3388 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I am still thinking...
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kenkat,

I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to decide on the next set. Indian Head cent in xf, Buffalo nickel in xf, Washington quarter in xf or Franklin halves in MS.
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could do a Capped Bust Half Dollar date set, if you skip the 1815 and 1836 reeded edge.

I decided to start a CBH date set myself. Decided to collect in order 1807, 1808, 1809, etc. Still looking for a good 1807.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
03/15/2018 11:43 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05