Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling A Coin Collection...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,826Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father has an old coin collection and would like to sell it. Where would be the best place to start? I am in Sudbury but can certainly travel to Ottawa or Toronto. Any advice?
The first step I plan on taking is to list all the coins in a spreadsheet.

Please advise...

Rob
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First step is to have the most valuable coins identified. You may have to go to a coin dealer to do that.

Post pictures of these coins here, in the CCF, and we will give you will give you honest third party advice as to how you may be able to get the best price for them.

For lesser valued coins, it would help to group them in bulk lots of perhaps a value of $50 to $100 dollars or so, and sell them via eBay.
This may take time and some effort, but your first step of setting up a spreadsheet indicates that you have the right sort of mind set to sell them well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11374 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A spreadsheet of the inventory would be a great starting place. Also, as sel said, identifying any higher value individual coins is a must so you can get the most for them.

The value and quantity of what you have and the time you're willing to spend on this may dictate your selling options.

Also, please do post any coins you have questions about. We are always willing to help and give honest opinions!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5823 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Most likely your dad already knows this, but do not clean ANY of the coins to try and make them look better.

Many collections have been ruined by well-intentioned people.

Good luck, take your time and enjoy the moment!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grob

Yes, a spreadsheet is a great start.
Is the collection mostly Canadian coins?
Learn More...
United States
96038 Posts
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShinyCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An early step for me was looking for key dates and unusual coins. Be patient, and also see if you can find a local resource like an LCS, as then you can bring in a decent sampling and see if your internal grading matches the market.
Edited by ShinyCat
03/11/2018 12:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best place to start is...
1) Don't clean the coins.
2) List what you have. (Common computer programs work pretty well. I use a Microsoft Spreadsheet for some of my records.)
3) Take some photos and share them here.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5535 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....yes do a spread sheet, if you want PM me and I will send you a template.
Also I'm in the Soo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An Excel spreadsheet is all you need, don't buy any fancy collector software.

Do take a photo or six of it all and post it here, we'll be glad to interfere !

Do NOT take the first offer, and do NOT sell off single coins from the whole. If someone offers you $100 for one coin, tell them it's $100 for that coin and, say, $300 more for the entire lot.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

First, list all the coins in an Excel or OpenOffice/LibreOffice spreadsheet. No need to use any other software.

Next, make sure to post some pictures here on the forums. We can help you with grades, approximate values, and whether or not to have them certified.

After that, the next step is to sell them. The best place to sell would be eBay. However, if you have any coins of very high value, the best place to sell them would be Heritage or Stacks Bowers.

Don't forget -
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Most of the coins are Canadian. There is at least one old [ may be Roman ] coin in there. I've installed a free software; OpenNumismat, which I will use to enter them all in with photos.

Thanks for the input.
I will be posting images here in the near future.

Rob
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There are some coins in this collection which I have no idea what they are. This one is an example. It is average 28 milometers in diameter.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20085 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Stick around here for a while and accumulate enough posts to make yourself a person that can sell right here.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16265 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05