Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I thought this Moroccan coin was neat..  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  8:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I bought it.. What a neat coin. Has some subtle toning on it with plenty of luster underneath.

Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scstrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6535 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a neat coin.

I agree--it is a beaut!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have mainly been a U.S. guy, but starting to get into foreign now too. Uh oh!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13987 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
8 grams, 720 silver, made for circulation.
This coin has not seen circulation.
Nice toning, which will eventually become a rich gray patina, but that may take another 50 years to fully develop.

Nice addition to your collection.

I have been mainly an ancients and World coin guy, but starting to get into U.S. now too. Uh oh!
Edited by sel_69l
04/15/2018 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6404 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is certainly appealing!

I don't know if it matters to you, but both Numista and NGC describe your right pic as the obverse, which I usually put on the left.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
04/15/2018 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know if it matters to you, but both Numista and NGC describe your right pic as the obverse, which I usually put on the left.

Good to know. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3029 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks neat, world coins have so many cool designs.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice acquisition. I love the design of Moroccan coins of that era. Even a humble aluminum piece can look great:

(can't figure out why that photo gets rotated when posted here)
Edited by tdziemia
04/16/2018 06:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1738 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a sucker for the elegant geometric designs on these coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14196 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technical Grade 63. Eye Appeal 7/10. Really a beauty. That is the type of coin to buy. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup! I think I have one laying around in my "to sort" pile, also bought on a whim.

There are a lot of very fun world coins out there to collect; I have a few from Morocco that I haven't been able to let go!

Before the French takeover, Morocco was for a time stuck in the middle ages in terms of coin production. One of the first coins in my collection was a falus from the 1860s... heavily patinated and cast, I thought it was an ancient for the longest time!
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2028 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
World coins can be a hard habit to shake once you start, so much variety, which is why I limit myself to just one from each country (300 and counting)

Morocco's older issues are also interesting. This is my sole example from 1882

Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the first coins in my collection was a falus from the 1860s... heavily patinated and cast

Then here's a walk down memory lane

Pillar of the Community
United States
4081 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the first coins in my collection was a falus from the 1860s... heavily patinated and cast, I thought it was an ancient for the longest time!

The same thing happened to me. A few years ago I found a pair of identical, interesting coins in an ancient junk bin, so I bought them. As it turned out, they were faluses from 1870.
On a side note, I just found this picture online:

ANA member no. 3183942 since 2010.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6535 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope y'all don't mind me posting one of mine from Morocco as well. Here is a square Dirhem from the Muwahhid Dynasty that dates to between 1160 and 1269 AD.

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05