Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mega Red 4th Edition - Who's Buying?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10083 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After handling this book a couple of times I've come to the conclusion that it would have been a great two or three volume set....

Yeah, it's truly massive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the difference between the Mega Red and the regular Red Book?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expanded details, color printing and about 35$.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9038 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And about 4 pounds...
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
6118 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the difference between the Mega Red and the regular Red Book?

The historical reading in the Mega Red books is what sold me one the one I bought a few years ago (well..besides the very cheap price at Ollie's). I really don;t use the RedBook anymore and have not for years. With all the online resources, I admit I am surprised the Red Book is still in publication. I have a feeling the Mega issues were a smart marketing tactic to get more interest back into the publication.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We discussed forged coins and how to identify them at the last coin club meeting. One thing I learned about the Red Book is it is not just a price guide. The photo of each coin is accurate to the actual coin dimensions, and the weight of the coin is listed under the pictures. This is true for the mega, and the smaller spiral bound version. That makes it a great tool for spotting fakes, assuming you have the coin in hand.
That also makes it a great reference tool for comparing the devices on a coin. Several times I have seen something that looked odd on a coin, and then I get out the Red Book, lay my coin next to the picture, and compare my coin to the reference photo.
This is probably old information for the old timers, but some of the newer members might find this helpful.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10083 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point, chrisof4. I would venture that most folks here don't even consider using the Red Book as a price guide, and if so, only for general/relative worth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6118 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chrisof4 very good point. Although an old timer I had not thought of this.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05